Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has had 2 litters of puppies with no problems, but

Customer Question

Hi my dog has had 2 litters of puppies with no problems
JA: OK. What seems to be the problem with your puppy?
Customer: but she has just lost her entire litter by miscarriage
JA: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: she does not hurt but i need to find out what can cause this
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: nancy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nancy?
Customer: no she is otherwise very fit and healthy
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 12 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I am very sorry to hear that this has happened to Nancy. Although she is likely coping well, it is not a pleasant experience for either you or her.
Can I confirm that she is up to date with her vaccines, parasite prevention and has no health issues? Nor is she a senior dog?
And did we have any clues at all e.g. vaginal discharge after mating?
There are many potential causes of miscarriage, with infections being the most common. This can be viral (e.g. Herpes), bacterial (e.g. E coli) or bacterial (e.g. Neospora).
To determine the cause you can request that both mum and the fetuses are examined. A post mortem on a foetus can be the best way to get a definitive diagnosis. Samples will need to be taken for culturing and microscopic examination.
There are other potential causes e.g. hormonal imbalances, though this would be less common in a female that has had previous successful litters.
Any health issue that mum has e.g. an endocrine disorder, can interfere with pregnancy so we should always confirm she is in tip top shape before mating.
To prevent future issues, you can test both the mother and father for genetic and/or infectious diseases.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 9 days ago.
Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure that you received my response and did not have any further questions?
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 5 days ago.

Hello, it has now been about one week since your question was first opened and it remains open. Please let me know if you have any further questions I can help with. Otherwise, I would appreciate f you could take them time to rate the answer, thus closing it and allowing me to receive compensation. Many thanks, ***** *****