Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I wonder if you can help. I have a 7 year old yorkie mix and

Hi I wonder if you can help. I have a 7 year old yorkie mix and she has started bleeding from her bottom and won't let me touch her.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Yorkie?
Customer: She is bleeding from her bottom.
JA: The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Yorkie?
Customer: She ripped a rubbish bag up a few days ago, I'm not sure if there was anything in it that could have caused this.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Im sorry to hear your dog is having this problem. Does she have any medical issues or is she on any medicine?
When you say bleeding from her bottom, is there a wound or sore around her anus or is it coming directly from the anus?
Has she been having runny stool or blood in the stool?
Finally, any other symptoms e.g. reduced appetite, lethargy, bum scooting, chewing at her back end, vomiting etc?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is not on any medication. I think it coming from her anus, she yelps when I try to look. I have bathed her to clean her up but I couldn't see anything there. She has had a reduced appetite the last couple of days which is nothing unsual really as she is a picky eater anyway and she has seemed a bit down also.
Ok, thank you for this information.
There are a number of things this could be.
If there is no diarrhoea, my first thought would be an anal gland impaction/infection. These are very common in Yorkies. Some dogs will also scoot their bum on the ground, look quickly behind them and hold their tail between their legs. If this is the case, she will need her glands emptied by a vet and will likely need some antibiotics and pain relief. In a small number of cases, dogs will require a sedation or anaesthetic to flush the gland.
It is also possible she has a rectal polyp; these small growths can cause fresh red blood within the poo and some discomfort. A rectal exam can determine if one is present or not.
If she is bleeding from her digestive tract, there can be many causes e.g. bacterial infections, parasites, dietary indiscretions, colitis, haemorrhagic enteritis etc.
I would ensure she is up to date with a good quality wormer and offer a very bland diet of boiled white chicken and rice little and often for a couple of days. A course of prebiotics such as Protexin Prokolin or Canigest would be worth giving and this can be purchase online or from a pet store or vet shop.
However, as she will not allow a close exam, I would recommend a trip to the vet so they can determine exactly what is going on. They will examine the back end closely and find the source of blood.
In the mean time, do not allow her to lick or chew at the back end if she is trying. An Elizabethan collar may be required.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****