Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a puppy and he started having Diarrhea about two days

Hello- I have a puppy and he started having Diarrhea about two days ago ( but it wasn’t completely Diarrhea) and the colour was his normal brown colour. yesterday I put him on chicken and rice and his ooo has now gone bright yellow but the poo consistency is still Diarrhea. What should I do?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Bruce
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruce?
Customer: He has had his jabs but he’s still not fully covered against one of the virus for another two weeks

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bruce. What has his worming history consisted of to date - the product and number of wormings, please? How old is Bruce?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He’s 13 weeks and 3 days. He’s was wormed on the 1st August and 1st September . I’m pretty sure the product is milbemax

Thank you. Milbemycin is appropriate for the nematodes roundworm, hookworm, and whipworm. It doesn't address coccidia or Giardia which is best done with ponazuril and fenbendazole, respectively. Please ask that this be done before further diagnostics and drugs are given to Bruce.

Can you think of anything Bruce ingested a few days ago that might have resulted in his diarrhea?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do.He’s eaten horse poo but apart from that I can’t think of anything

The horse poo often results in strongyles (roundworms) found in a fecal ova and parasite exam but these aren't the type of strongyles harmful to dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.