Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our Quaker Parrot has almost recovered from two fractured

Hi,Our Quaker Parrot has almost recovered from two fractured legs. Yesterday, I noticed that his heal had swelled slightly. We took him to the vet and he has a bone infection. He’s been given antibiotics. What are the chances of survival when a bird has a bone infection?Thanks.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to ear this, bone infections certainly can be difficult to treat. Where is the location of the infection?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. The infection is in his right leg and the swelling is on the heel. It only started swelling yesterday. Does this mean the infection started yesterday? Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He didn’t have an X-ray, the vet lost knew.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He’s on 0.18ml of Zodon, twice a day.

The infection may have started some time before, possibly when the pins were placed in the leg. Are there any implants remaining in the leg now?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
If the antibiotics had of been continued, would he have an infected leg?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The pins were removed a while ago.

Difficult to say without seeing the xrays

The infection will likely require a long course of antibiotics to treat, the prognosis for any bone infection is somewhat guarded

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. Is there say. 20 percent chance of survival with any bone infection?

It's no so much a case of survival per se, but more return to normal function. In some chronic, intractable infections amputation can be needed. Hopefully this can be avoided with your parrot.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately, the infection is on his good leg, so amputation isn’t possible according to the vet. The vet said the next three days are critical, so we need to get past the three days. If he gets past the three days, is there a good chance of survival?

Well your vet is really best placed to advise you on that as it depends on the severity of the infection. I suspect it will be longer than 3 days before you know for sure that he will recover adequately. Typically osteomyelitis can take 6-8 weeks of antibiotics to fully resolve depending on the extent of the infection

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. As there was no X-ray, could it be something else?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What are the other symptoms of osteomyelitis?

The symptoms are pain and swelling of the affected area. It seems likely that there is an infection, however without an xray it would be difficult to say if the bone was affected or just the surrounding soft tissue

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. Is it possible that the soft tissue is affected before the bone is?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
As the swelling started yesterday, how big could the infection have been present beforehand?

Impossible to say without an xray unfortunately

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. Should an X-ray be done?

Well at this stage it is probably unlikely to change the approach to treatment which is probably why your vet hasn't recommended it. However if the leg fails to improve then it should be xrayed again