Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We will be collecting our cockapoo puppy from the breeder in

We will be collecting our cockapoo puppy from the breeder in about 3 weeks time. He will get his first vaccinations by the breeder's vet at 8 weeks before he leaves. We will then have his second round of vaccinations done when he is 10 weeks.
Will it be safe to then take him on a car journey from london to scotland when he is 11 weeks, during which we would stop overnight at a dog friendly hotel (where other dogs will have previously been in the room)?
Some sources have said would need to wait until he is 2 weeks post vaccinations but a veterinary assistant told me it's only 7 days post vax, not 14...
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
Congratulations on your new pup!
The truth is, how long it takes for a dog to mount an appropriate immune response can be variable and will differ from pup to pup.
However, myself and my colleagues always advise that 7 days should be sufficient for the vast majority. This is the same in all of the many clinics I work at as a local vet.
I would be happy for him to make the journey.
Do be sensible and avoid dogs you are unsure have been vaccinated. Similarly, avoid any areas rats may have urinated such as ponds or puddles (as they can transmit leptospirosis).
Be sure to take frequent toilet breaks on the journey. Most pups need breaks at least hourly. Dont allow him to overheat and keep him comfortable (a crate he is used to would be ideal).
Feed him little and often rather than big meals on the travel day to reduce the likelihood of car sickness.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** really helpful. Would it be okay to have his second vaccinations at 9 weeks 5 days?
No worries! When 2nd vaccines can be given is dependent on the brand of vaccine used for the 1st one. Different brands have different protocols. Do you know this information?
Oh I just saw he will be 8 weeks for his first one. The minimum time between injections for any brand is 2 weeks. Some brands allow vaccines from 7 weeks so its worth checking with your breeder if this is an option.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I called pets at home (the breeder said she will use them) and they said they always use Novivak DHPPI/L2...
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ah sorry, I just saw your response.
That vaccine should be spaced by 14-28 days
Also, puppies must be a minimum of 10 weeks of age for the 2nd vaccine with Nobivac.