Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Im worried about my dog she was on antibiotics for her

Hi im worried about my dog she was on antibiotics for her swollen private area and then she was scratching her face alot which seems to have cased her nose to bleed and her eye the same but today she has a bit of blood out of her ears, she is still playful but we are so worried about her, she is just 1 years old and is a Maltese poodle x
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments as I type my response
I would agree that this is very unusual and warrants further investigation.
The concern when a dog is bleeding from not one but 3 locations would be that they have a clotting disorder. There are many things that can cause this. For example, it can be a congenital condition (something theh are born with), secondary to a disease (e.g. liver or gut disease) or because they have eaten a toxin e.g. rat poison.
As a minimum, the vet needs to check her red blood cell count to ensure she is not anaemic (even if she does not seem to have lost much blood we cannot guarantee there is not also internal bleeding) as well as a clotting profile. Ideally, we would also check her organ function and check for signs of infection in the same blood test.
While it is possible that she has scratched herself so badly that she is bleeding from 3 separate places, this would be quite unlikely.
The vet can check for signs of infection in her nose/eyes and ears and determine if there is any evidence of this e.g. foul smelling discharge, narrowed ear canals, reddened skin etc.
I would advise she be seen ASAP as we cannot rule out that something serious is going on. Hopefully we are being over cautious, but it is best to be proactive.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Here she is
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Could she be allergic to her antibiotics because it was only her private are that was affected then when she was on the antibiotics she had an itchy face and then all this happened
Thank you for this photo. She has severe dermatolgical lesions around both her eyes and muzzle. It may well be that in her case the bleeding is secondary to broken skin given the extent of the skin disease.
She needs a dermatoligcal investigation to determine what is going on. Considerations would include mange, autoimmune disease such as pemphigus etc.
The vet will likely take a deep skin scrape to check for parasites and a biopsy to determine the exact diagnosis.
An allergic reaction is always possible. Which antibiotics is she on?
If she is bleeding from the skin lesions rather than from her nostrils/eyes themselves as I had originally understood, I would no longer be concerned about a bleeding disorder.
An allergic reaction would tend to present quite rapidly. Can I confirm that this has not been going on for a long time i.e. a week or more?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will send tou all she is on
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
2
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
3
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
4
I have received images of isaderm cream and clavaseptin tablets. Were both of these prescribed for her vulva?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She has it a 9 days but the eyes and nose bleeding only 4 days
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Cream for private area and tablets for all
Thank you for this.
Clavaspetin contains Amoxicillin which is in the same family as Penicillin and can cause hypersensitivity/allergic reactions in a small number of dogs.
Certainly if her facial skin was 100% normal before the antibiotics were started, we would need to strongl suspect that they are the cause.
However, if the itching or lesions were there before she started the antibiotics, they cannot be the inciting cause and we would need to look for other potential causes as mentioned previously (parasitic, auto-immune etc). It could also be that she is allergic to something in her environment such as a food, grass, pollen etc.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Could it be the cream?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Aswell?
Did you use the cream on her face? If so, it is always possible (again, more so if the lesions presented after the cream was first applied). It contains a steroid which should normally help with inflammation (but can cause worsening skin symptoms if, for example, there is a parasitic infection) as well as an antibiotic which is well tolerated by most. However, animals can have a hypersensitivity reaction to any new product.
So, if the issue was there before the medicine started, there is something else going on here.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She was given an antibiotic injection and oral antibiotics and this happened since
Absolutely, if the treatment was originally given for the vulva alone (and her facial skin was unaffected at that time) an allergic reaction would be top of the list.
Typically, a vet will prescribe medicine to control the allergic reaction and will discontinue the antibiotics (though please do not discontinue any medicine your vet has prescribed before discussing it with them first).
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Linda thank you so much for all your help, you have put my mind at ease
No problem at all. I'm sorry your poor dog is going through this as it looks quite uncomfortable.
I see you have an Elizabethan collar on her already and I certainly continue with this to prevent self trauma.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ya we got one in the vets 2 days ago
Great, that will help. Please do keep me updated and let me know how she is getting on going forward
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much, how do i get in contact with you tomorrow after the vets visit
This window will be kept open for several days so we can continue to talk on it (at no extra charge) in this manner.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is fantastic, thank you again so much and i will let you know how she gets on with the vet tomorrow