Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I took my maltese to the vets last night as she started with

Hi, I took my maltese to the vets last night as she started with a sudden limp on her back leg for no reason, the vet gave her 2 injections (meloxaid & Metacam) and a 5 day course of meloxaid once per evening which is due to start tonight but she has been very drowsy today is this a side effect to last nights injections?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds, the vet said she thinks she may have a torn ligament
JA: What is the Maltese's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: no, she is a happy healthy 10 month old usually
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Are you sure she was given an injection of Meloxaid and one of metacam? These are the same thing, just a different brand name.
This is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory injection that provides moderate pain relief. It typically will not cause drowsiness.
I would suspect any drowsiness is unrelated and may be caused by e.g. stress or pain.
If you think she may be in pain (hiding away, trembling, off food, panting etc) it could be worth requesting a stronger pain relief such as tramadol or gabapentin from the vet.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****