Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My lurcher got away a couple of days ago and returned with

My lurcher got away a couple of days ago and returned with an injury - he has badly torn the skin away under his armpit. It has been hard to get to see it and we have just realised today that he needs to be seen by a vet. EWe have an appointment tomorrow but this evening he is crying from pain with it and I don;t know what to do. I have some norbrook carpieve from another time and something else - could i give him those?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the ewe's name and age?
Customer: no a dog not a ewe! he is called christie and he is about 7 a lurcher
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Christie?
Customer: he is eating ok and everyhting else - he obviously needs attending to but thats tomorrow and he is in pain.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Christie. Yes, carprofen is a good choice and you can add acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg per pound of bodyweight thrice daily for additive analgesia. What is that "something else" drug, please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks - what i meant was we had the NORBROOK CARPRIEVE left over from another time when he had something the matter with him. last year i think. is carprofen the same as NORBROOK CARPRIEVE?

Thank you. ***** is a brand name for carprofen. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks - I will give him some. I know you can;t see it but if all his other vital signs are okay and i don;t think there is any infection, do you think it will be okay to wait until tomorrow morning for the vets or do you think we ought to take sooner action. The wound is red which i know is part of the healing process. It is in such an awkward place. we tried bandaging but it dug in. we have put wound powder on it too. thanks again
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
sorry one more question - will it be okay for him to have the carprieve now if they have to potentially knock him out tomorrow to deal with it?

Yes, carprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) with no sedative effect unlike opiates or barbiturates. I would be pleased to look at a photo of the area if you would like. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thanks will do one

I'll watch for it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the picture is hard to get so its a bigger area than it shows. i feel embarrassed that we shoudl have gone to the vet earlier - we hadn't realised the extent of it and hoped it would heal naturally.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
he has stopped for the moment whineing in pain although you can see he is bothered. I have given him 1 carpireve and also some Homeopathic remedies for injury/pain.

It's a gaping laceration which appears to be clean and non-infected. Waiting a day to have it attended to isn't an issue. If he'll let you, flush the wound once with over the counter chlorhexidine or Vetericyn solution found where pet supplies are sold. It can heal by secondary intention (no stitches) but that would take many weeks due to the motion in that area when he walks/runs.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou. I really appreciate your assessment. We can't get any of that wound wash overnight as we live rurally but if you think it looks non infected and I think it isn;t then we will wait until tomorrow and learn our lesson not to wait again if needed! Hopefull the carprieve will ease the discomfort until we go. He is licking it and i am letting him but not too much.
Thanks again for your time and attention.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.