Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Our cat has a wound on his nose which I think he had from a

Hi, our cat has a wound on his nose which I think he had from a cyst. It’s not infected but he won’t leave it alone so when it scans over, he opens it again which makes it worse. We have tried 3 different types of cones on him to stop him scratching and to keep healing cream on, but he takes them all off. Help!
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not excessively, but when he irritates it he bleeds a fair bit and the wound opens a little further each time
Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Fluff and he’s about 11 ( he was a stray but is really tame) he has a heart murmur do I hate stressing him out
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fluff?
Customer: No, I think that’s it
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Can you send a photo here for me to review ? Have you used any medications for this area to treat it ?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This isn’t the most current photo as he is hiding at the moment, but it’s a fair idea. We have been trying to use aloe Vera healing cream for cats. This seems to work nicely if he leaves it alone, but he keeps knocking any scabbing off!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He only kept that cone on for about 2 minutes

Can you please resend the photo, it did not come through, thank you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hope this works

I have it now, thank you, ***** ***** now

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

How long have you noticed it? Is it painful? Is it getting bigger?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He’s had a black mark there for a couple of years, but no change and the vet was happy with it. It has been in the last month that he’s caught it, it’s bled, then scabbed, then caught again over and over, so it has got a bit bigger each time. He doesn’t seem to be in pain- more irritated by it.

Does it have a smell now? Like infected? It looks like there may be some infection starting there making the situation worse.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But it is getting bigger and not healing and we don’t want it to get infected
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No smell and we don’t think it’s infected but it is basically an open wound

My concern is that we have an infection on the surface but also deeper in the skin and underlying tissue. I would recommend to discuss with your veterinarian for systemic antibitics to address the infection. Until then, we can look to start on a topical cleaning solution with chlorhexidine to kill yeast and bacteria. There is a topical hot spot spray that contains lidocaine and hydrocortisone that can be sprayed on the area to stop the itch and irritation. However if this does not heal or close over in time, this cyst may need to be surgically removed.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This is s more recent photo
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We wanted to avoid a trip to the vet as he has a heart murmur and he gets very stressed at the vet, but if you think it’s necessary we can make an appointment
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The cream was working well to reduce it, but he just wouldn’t leave it alone and we have tried 3 different cones and he gets them all off in seconds

Beuatiful longhaired? Mane coons are my favorite. My concern as large as it is getting that we don't want it to get worse and keep tearing at it. There is a very good injectable antibiotic called Convenia, one injection lasts 14 days, it works great on these, they also have a topical spray with gentamicin as an antibiotic and betamethasone as a steroid to stop the itch. What type of cream did you have?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He is beautiful and definitely has some Maine coon in him - we love him very much! We have an aloe Vera cream- so very basic. Is there a way of accessing the injection and spray without taking him to a vet?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They sound like they might be the solution

Your veterinarian has to prescribe that. If you wanted to try an over the counter option, you can try the Hot Spot spray I wrote about above and the chlorhexidine shampoo and medicated wipes. You can also use a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin, 3-4 times a day. Stop using the Aloe Vera as this may allow more moisture to stay there and allows more bacteria and yeast to grow.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Great, thank you for the advice. We will stop the cream and speak to the vet/ try the over counter stuff you’ve recommended. Thank you, you’ve been very helpful

You are very welcome, best of success to all. Have a good evening. Let me know if you have any further questions. Dr Mike