Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

My dog had trouble pooing this morning due to matted fur

My dog had trouble pooing this morning due to matted fur which I have managed to sort out but he now has quite a sore bum and he's feeling very sorry for himself and quivering a bit. We don't know his vet details to take him anywhere at the moment I am waiting to find our where to take him. Can I do anything in the meantime to help?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Teddy and he is 3 and half
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I did soak it in warm water to loosen it and gave him a bath while he was in there

Hello, this is Dr. Sara. That is good that you bathed him. If you are planning to take him to the vet that is the best idea. The other thing you could do at home would be to apply a topical cortisone cream if you have any. OR, do you have any ear ointments you have used in the past for him? Anything topical from a previous vet visit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is pooing and not squealing now but his bum is sore and he squeal when I touch it. I don't think I do have anything but I can try to get something
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We haven't had him very long so not had to take him to the vets so far. We have him from a family member and they are currently on holiday

Ahhh I see. Well, if you can get out to get a topical skin lotion with hydrocortisone (people ointment/cream) this would help to calm it down until you can get him to a vet. Pet stores may have something as well, I just don't know what you have access to. You want something with hydrocortisone in it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that's great I will see what I can do. Would cold compresses help calm it a little?

Yes, for sure, if he will let you. It just might be too sore to do this. And it's not something you want to keep doing because you want the skin to dry up but for the immediate, it would be fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that's great I will get out and get some cream then. Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it

You are very welcome.