Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat Cosmo is very.often sick especially after eating. He

Hi my cat Cosmo is very.often sick especially after eating. He is fed little and often to stophim.guzzling his food. He has been on.several food for digestive issues but nothing is working. He also has pancreatitis but is otherwise lively and happy
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How old is Cosmo?
Customer: Going to vet today. What tests would be helpful please?
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cosmo?
Customer: No he is otherwise in.good health I believe . He is an indoor cat and lives with one other cat
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cosmo will be 8 on 31st October
I'm sorry to hear Cosmo is experiencing this issue which must be stressful for both you and him.
There are a wide number of conditions that can cause these symptoms including gastritis, IBD, food allergies, cancers etc. and we often need to run several tests to get to the bottom of things.
You say he has pancreatitis; do you mean he had a bout of pancreatitis in the past or that he is currently suffering with an inflamed pancreas? If he currently had pancreatitis, he likely needs pain relief, anti-nausea medicine and perhaps hospital admission for fluids and supportive care. Pancreatitis is a very serious illness indeed and requires quite intensive treatment.
When the vet examined him today they will be ensuring his weight is steady, checking his hydration, assessing for any abdominal pain, palpation his abdominal organs and intestinal tract for any irregularities, checking if he has a fever etc.
Test wise, the first step would be a general blood test (which should include full biochemistry, hematology, electrolytes, tli/cobalamin/folate). We may get our answer from this or it may simply direct our next investigations.
Usually, we will want to perform an abdominal ultrasound to examine the internal organs and, often, an upper GI endoscope is useful to look inside the stomach and upper intestines. Not uncommonly, we will take little biopsies when examining the intestinal tract.
You mention diet and with cases like these it is always useful to trial a strict 8 week hypoallergenic diet- this means a prescription hypoallergenic food such as Royal Canin Anallergenic and Nothing else (no nibbles of the other cats food, no treats etc) for the entire time.
It's worth saying, if we suspect that he is regurgitating (bringing back undigested food) rather than vomiting (forceful contractions often associated with nausea), we would likely also want to perform an xray to assess for a condition known as mega oesophagus.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks! He had a bout of pancreatitis in the past. Several years ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He does not get any.treats and we are always strict with his diet as we were told he could not tolerate fat.due to the pancreatitis.
Perfect, thank you for this.
I'm glad to hear the pancreatitis was in the past though it would certainly be worth checking for today as we know cats can experience repeated episodes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P.S. we go to the vet this afternoon.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much for your help.