Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My blue terrier previously of good character started

My blue bull terrier previously of good character started snarling and growling at me and would not leave the car for 8 hours , eventually coaxed him out with chicken nuggets but on closer inspection found some lumps under his ear where hair not growing and concerned .
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your blue bull?
Customer: The car incident has spooked me , I am now slightly wary of him . That was 2 nights ago and last night also he was very restless . The closer I got the louder his growl became so decided to back off . As his lead was still on I tried hooking it with a stick then my dog grabbed it and tore apart aggressively . Very out of character .
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
An additional pertinent point would be , 2 year old blue staff Kc reg , bought from breeder and met dad and dog previously lived on diet of whole raw chickens .
I have not kept up this practice ( vegetarian ) and have tried almost every type of dog food both formula and meat and all were rejected so after continually not eating he is now eating cooked chicken , corned beef and fish cakes .
Had dog 4 months.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Is he neutered or not? Any change in eating or drinking ?
Can you send the picture of the skin lesion by the ear to view ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hopefully you have that now !

Yes they came through, I will review now, thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he has not been neutered , I am thinking of it now but he is a pedigree andh I have lots of people wanting to breed with him but not sure !

I totally understand about his good breeding potential and not neutering. Many times as the male dogs get older, they produce more testosterone and they can become more aggressive with time. Just such that you are aware of this. Also if they are painful or do not feel good, this can make things worse also. Did this aggression only start when these skin lesions appeared?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only checked his whole body after the aggressive incident so quite possible

Will he let you touch them? Or are these spots very painful and sore?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If the best thing for him would be neutering I would forget the breeding as his well being comes first for me , tbh this incident has spooked me also , I am a bit wary of him now which I don't like but when he was growling ferociously I just stepped back and walked away so hopefully all can be sorted!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is letting me touch the spots but his ears go up and he shoots me an unfriendly look !
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I checked last night there were only 2, there appear to be 4 now !

If we are more aggressive because of pain, we can treat and address the cause of the pain. I will send an over the counter protocol we can use for the skin infections now. Then I will discuss more the behavior.

It appears to be a skin infection. This area of the body is moist and this can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize the skin to get to higher levels, then this will set up these small areas of infection. I would recommend to get a shampoo that has chlorhexidine and miconazole, one type is called Malaseb. Then a topical spray called Micochlor that you can spray on the area 2-4 times a day. Both of these products will kill the yeast an bacteria. They can be found at pet stores or ordered on line like on Amazon. The chlorhexidine will kill yeast and bacteria and the miconazole also will. This can help a lot to stop the itching. When you bathe let sit on for 10 minutes. The sprays can be used 2-4 times a day as needed. There is also a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it that you can spray onto the red and itchy skin also. This will take down a lot of itch and inflammation also. You can do this 2-4 times a day as needed also.

If we notice that we keep getting more aggressive in time and unpredictable, then looking at neutering may be needed. Dogs reach sexual maturity at around 2 years of age. We do not have good predictable medications we can use to stop aggression, especially when we have high levels of testosterone and are not neutered. I would say that if we can start with the treatment of the area we know is causing pain, this will be helpful. However always be careful when dealing with dogs that are touchy like this, you may want to also look at a muzzle that you can use while trying to clean and treat the hot spots.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Mike , that's a great help and I will do as you suggest !
I hate the thought of my dog on a muzzle but after Saturday I ordered one on eBay instantly , even if just for occasional use or emergencies .
Ta again

Actually it will help a lot to make you feel more secure, you can just use it even while cleaning an attending to the skin infection. In the future if you have more questions about the behavior, you can request which veterinarian answers your questions, I will be happy to help if you have any behavoural questions in the future about this case. Best of success and have a great day. Dr Mike