Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

T2 Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about? my

Hi t2
Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Hi there, my dog is repetitively licking his paws until they have sores on them, I have looked into changing his diet but I am not in the financial place to afford it and I've looked into ways to keep him occupied whilst I am at work but nothing had worked so far, do you have any advice
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Trevor and he's 6
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trevor?
Customer: He has a nervous disposition and gets stressed when people walk past the window so I have to keep the curtains closed whilst I am out and the radio on
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
What breed are we? Can you send photos of the paws?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He's a bull breed mix I'll get some pictures now
Any other underlying health conditions ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No nothing
Any other areas of skin problems? How are the ears?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I can't get any pictures, it says the file is too large
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No just the feet. Ears are fine
Can you send them from the computer ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don't have one
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There are 2 bald patches 4 inches long. 2 inches wide, one on the front left paw and one on the back left. With smaller sores in the middle. He has licked them till they have bled. Look alot like bed sores
How long have they been going on?
Very good description. Thank you
Is he neutered ?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
On and off for years but it's become excessive in the last few months. I did have 2 dogs so he had company but my ex partner took her with him when he moved out. But he's done it before so I don't know if that's it. Yes he is neutered.
Many times when I see this. The lesions in the legs are secondary from underlying anxiety. It now has become an obsessive compulsive behavior. Have you ever treated the wounds or the anxiety with medication?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No I've never tried it. He did go the vets for it many years ago, they gave him, I think steroids to help it heal and antibiotics but that was just to treat the wound.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have looked into all natural options. Medicines with calming effects but not sure what would work with him being such a large dog
I am going to send you a protocol that will help with the skin first. Then I will write up a plan for the anxiety.
It appears to be a skin infection. This area of the body is moist and this can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize the skin to get to higher levels, then this will set up these small areas of infection. I would recommend to get a shampoo that has chlorhexidine and miconazole, one type is called Malaseb. Then a topical spray called Micochlor that you can spray on the area 2-4 times a day. Both of these products will kill the yeast an bacteria. They can be found at pet stores or ordered on line like on Amazon. The chlorhexidine will kill yeast and bacteria and the miconazole also will. This can help a lot to stop the itching. When you bathe let sit on for 10 minutes. The sprays can be used 2-4 times a day as needed. There is also a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it that you can spray onto the red and itchy skin also. This will take down a lot of itch and inflammation also. You can do this 2-4 times a day as needed also.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay thank you.
Please allow me about 10 minute while I prepare the other plan.

We also are suffering from some degree of underlying anxiety. Dogs just like people can also suffer form anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders. When this happens, there really is no amount of behavior modification that we can do to stop this bad behavior, it is an issue with the central nervous system. We can do if possible plans to have them not be alone as much, have other pets with them, keep them away from stressful events, leave the television or radio on such that they are not feeling so alone. However in the end, we have this underlying anxiety. Then with the legs, the longer we lick and chew at the legs, the more it becomes a ritualistic habit then. This also in time gets harder to treat and address also. I have had a lot of success using a medication called Paroxetine once a day to help with the underlying anxiety and the OCD. It is very inexpensive and very safe for long term usage. After being on it for 1-2 months, we reassess how things are going with the behavior, then we may need to adjust the medication upwards depending on the clinical signs. Your veterinarian can prescribe this medication. They may have another medication that they prefer, however I do feel that with this degree of anxiety, medication will be the best help we can have for the underlying condition.

Then we can use the treatment that I proposed to help treat the skin lesions, however they will probably never totally heal up, at this point many times I have found that they have a tremendous amount of scar tissue and inflammation in them that complicate the complete healing process. However you can use the medications I discussed to help keep the leg lesions healhier and to prevent infection also.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This is very helpful thank you so much. When It comes to the anxiety medication, would it be best to take him to my local vet and have it prescribed or can you do it. Also can I get it online?

Any other questions I can help you with today on this case?

We can give advice here, however when it comes to prescription medications your attending veterinarian will need to prescribe the medication for you. The skin medications I discussed are over the counter and you can find them in pet stores or online.

With Just Answer you can request the same veterinarian to answer your questions, if you have any follow up questions or need assistance in the future I will be happy to help you work through the case.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That's great thank you so much for your help.

You are more than welcome. Best of success and have a wonderful day. Dr Mike