Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Uti in cat Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the

Uti in cat
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: Uti
Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Frequent urination
Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Trio and 11
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trio?
Customer: Had bladder stones in past

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my repsonse

I'm sorry to hear your cat is not himself.

Has anything happened to bring on these changes (new diet, new pet, change in environment, stressful event?)

A true 'UTI' or urinary tract infection in a cat is actually a rare cause of urinary issues as most are not associated with a bacterial infection at all. For the vast majority, they have a condition known as 'FLUTD', which is not an infection and does not require antibiotics. The only way to know if an actual UTI (infection) is present would be to have a urine sample analysed.

You mention he has had stones in the past. Were these true, solid stones that had to be dissolved or removed surgically or were they microscopic urinary crystals? How were these treated i.e. did he need a special diet?

If he is truly prone to stone formation, the concern would be that they have reformed and could cause a blockage.

What symptoms is he currently showing and how would you like me to help?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
they were removed surgically I have them lol, she has been on food for urinary tract ever since, we do alternate the food but find she likes the purina one best.
We have just come back off a 2 week holiday a couple of weeks ago but she wasn't in a battery she was in the same house with my daughter, there is a lot of coming and going in our flat tho. New pet was December last year. Shes urinating frequently and washing a lot down there
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cattery

Apologies, I have been calling poor Trio a boy! In this scenario, it is actually better she is female as females are less prone to blockages, so that's a plus.

It's worth keeping in mind that a cat who has previously formed stones is more likely to form them again so it would certainly be worth ensuring this is not the case by performing some basic imaging (x-ray and/or ultrasound).

It's great she is on a urinary diet as this can help keep the urinary pH at the correct level and prevent crystal and stone formation.

Certainly cats are Very sensitive little souls and the changes that you have mentioned could be enough to cause a bout of cystitis.

Frequent urination and over-grooming tells us that her bladder is likely inflamed. This may be due to crystals, stones, infection or something less common (e.g. a bladder tumour, kidney disease).

Ideally, she would be examined by a vet as they can give her an all over check and assess her bladder. They would also be able to perform a simple urine test to check for many of the conditions mentioned above. If you bring a urine sample with you, this would speed the process up.

Given her age, a basic blood test could be a good idea as it can check her kidney function and also give us a baseline if we start her on any meds.

For most, a short course of anti-inflammatories should settle things down and stop the over-grooming. If we find an infection is present, antibiotics will be needed for a few weeks.

I would be consistent with the urinary diet and try to increase water intake as much as possible- add water to the food, offer rain water, use a water fountain etc.

Also make sure the tray is always clean and accessible, with no-one around to disturb her. If the new pet is a cat or if there are other cats, there should be 1.5 litter trays per cat (so 2 for one cat and 3 for 2 cats).

This website has some really good advice when it comes to managing urinary issues:https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-flutd/

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That's good thankyou for your help

No problem at all. Feel free to let me know how Trio gets on.