Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

One of my cats has become very nervous over the last comple

Hi , one of my cats has become very nervous over the last comple of days and hides away , he comes out to eat then hides again , we noticed his mouth was cut and his tail just hangs , I touched his tail earlier and he went mad
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: No , he’s not bleeding now , it was just for a few mins or so a couple of days ago
Assistant: Phew. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Kaspar , he’s just over 2 , I found 2 kittens in a skip a couple of years ago and he’s one of them
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kaspar?
Customer: Don’t think so , just his tail seems to be damaged and he’s very conscious of not doing much at the moment
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Is he all Indoor or does he go outdoors some too?
Are we eating and drinking normally ? Any change in urination or defecation?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He goes out when he wants but since whatever has happened he doesn’t go further than the back garden , he has also defecated in the house which he has never done before , his tail is definitely damaged , he’s eating and drinking normally

How big is the cut on mouth? Did we come back in like this from the outdoors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It’s only small , yes he came home like this, I am hoping ido t have to take him to a vet as he hates going but if I have to I will
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don’t have to

Are we eating and drinking normally? Are you able to clean the cut on the mouth?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He’s eating and drinking normally, he won’t let us near him to clean it , he gets quite aggressive when we try , I have 3 cats, the other 2 would have let me but this one can be quite aggressive when he’s nervous.

Are we having any urinary or fecal accidents since the tail is not working so well, or can we lift the tail enough to go to the bathroom?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He’s lifting his tail slightly but not as well as he used to , he lifts it enough to go to the toilet though
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ran my fingers down his tail gently earlier tonight and when I got half way down he screeched at me and hissed

Does he feel warm to the touch? Over his tail base do you notice if there is any swelling or tender area? Or in the back half of the back region?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he doesn’t feel warm , we haven’t noticed any swelling , my wife has also seen him cleaning himself by licking

I am thinking he may have gotten into a fight with another cat, cats have a very back bacteria in their mouth called Pastuerella. When they bite, the teeth inject this bacteria into the tissue, then the skin closes back up. Then over the next days a deepening infection starts to grow under the skin. This may take many days or even a week to show up. However when it does form an abscess the area can become very painful and sore. They can start to act much like this. I would recommend to have him seen at a clinic. They will likely need to get him on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories before this condition gets any worse.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He doesn’t seem to be in constant pain , only when he knocks his tail but he has lost a little confidence in jumping up onto things at the moment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok , thank you for your help and advice

I am a cat person, this is one of the areas of the body that is prone to get bitten by the other cats so often. These abscesses can start out small and then get very large very rapidly. This is why I feel seeing a clinic tomorrow will be good for him. Any other questions I can answer today for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No , that’s it thank you

You are more than welcome. Have a good evening and best of success. Dr Mikie