Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I’ve recently rescued two cockatiels, one has splayed legs I

Hi I’ve recently rescued two cockatiels, one has splayed legs I think I have no experience with birds at all the old man says it’s about 20 it got around ok but now one leg is splayed completely out sideways and I don’t know what to do for the best
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cockatiel?
Customer: They was very neglected for years, the beaks were so overgrown but I trimmed them ok just worried about this bird, can itbe fixed? Thank you so much
Assistant: Where does the cockatiel seem to hurt?
Customer: The right leg
Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cockatiel?
Customer: No that’s it :) he’s eating and drinking fine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, an avian vet (theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinary advice/avian-vets) would examine his leg hands-on to see if an obvious fracture or dislocation was present. X-rays of the leg and pelvis may be recommended. Treatment would be predicated upon findings in the exams. It's reasonable to assume that surgical intervention isn't in his future at his advanced age but bracing of his legs might be of value. Please see here:

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think he maybe too old for bracing, how much at a vet would that cost in the uk please?

Regrettably, I can't know what you be charged to have him attended to and so always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done. I have to leave my computer for the night - I'm in the Hawaii time zone - but I promise to reply in my morning if need be.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In your expert opinion if he can’t be fixed can cockatiels live an ok life, he’s old and I just rescued him as his brother they had been kept in terrible conditions I just want him to have some happy time, you’re an angel thank you so much for your time �� u sleep and just answer when you’re up

He appears to be doing well - "eating and drinking fine". If he continues doing so and can keep his vent clean, there's little reason to do anything more for him. I admit that he's long past life expectancy and so every day's a gift at this point.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ah! Ok thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I will do :)

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.