Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a 18 month old Staffin who we've rehomed since

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a 18 month old Staffin who we've rehomed since Sunday. When his previous parents came to drop him off he had a runny tummy. That was Sunday. They still had him on Harrington puppy food. Monday his stools when a bit more solid but then runny again. No blood and he is drinking water. Today my partner took him for a walk and he thinks he might have stuck his testicles/bum on nettles and everytime he try to sit he jumps up and he won't let us check his tail area. He seems to be getting stressed as he doesn't know what to do with himself. I wasn't sure if he's bum is just real sensitive or if he's battling to pass something sharp which he might have eaten
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Barney
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barney?
Customer: He's a staffie
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about sweet Barneys issues. This may be a symptom of the different environment causing Barney's digestive tract to become disturbed. This checking his tail area could be due to straining to defecate or his anal glands are full. This digestive issue possibly causing Barney to be sensitive is unlikely to be caused by nettles but this digestive issue. For now, fast him for 12 hrs to allow his digestive tract to calm down and then feed him a small amount of rice and boiled chicken which is easy on his digestive tract. This will allow him to become more regular as he adapts to his new home. If this is enough and the behavior continues, have your vet check his anal glands...if these are full, he will exhibit these same behaviors.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That's sound great. He seems to allow us to touch next to his an us but can't touch his tail at all without having him turn to nip. He seems to be getting impatient as he can't get down to luy down and get comfy. But we'll do what you suggest as it makes perfect sense. I know the rehoming process can be traumatic for the little guy so we just want to do everything possible to help him settle.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry, I hit the call me button by mistake. I'm happy with your answer so I'll do what you've suggested. Just feel helpless for the little guy. Thank you very much for help.

I am so sorry but I am unable to do phone calls but since you say Barney is painful at his tailhead, this also may be an injury to his spine in that area causing him discomfort. Give him 5 mg per pound of his weight of aspirin every 12 hrs WITH food to help ease this discomfort and this may help also. If Barney is around 40 pounds, he would take one half regular 325 mg aspirin every 12 hrs for a few days. Good Luck...nice of you to take this sweet guy in....