Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our 16 week old old English bulldog is covered in lumps up

Customer Question

Hi our 16 week old old English bulldog is covered in lumps up her back only just seen it
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Old English Bulldog's name?
Customer: Bullsog bella
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Old English Bulldog?
Customer: We Think she may be the runt of the litter, she’s quite small for her age but we’re not sure.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has had all her vaccines too
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
And also a flee and worming tablet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried but it says the file is too large

Perhaps this will help: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-I-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

If not, customer service can help you by email: [email protected] or visit this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
???

These lumps are most consistent with a skin condition called idiopathic (unknown cause) sterile granuloma and pyogranuloma. This is generally treated as we treat autoimmune skin disorders which can be treated conservatively - vitamin E, essential fatty acids, tetracycline or doxycycline with niacinamide - or more rigorously with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone. A systemic antibiotic is indicated in order to treat secondary bacterial infection.

The best scenario would be a form of short-hair pyoderma - bacterial skin infection which is addressed with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing every other day in a 2-4% chlorhexidine- or 2.5-3% benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The antibiotic must be prescribed by an attending vet. You can find the shampoos over the counter where dog supplies are sold. I suspect that her vet will elect to treat in this manner and see if a positive response is seen within a couple of weeks. If so, biopsying a lesion can be avoided. Biopsy is needed to confirm the less common granuloma/pyogranuloma.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great thank you, so we shall get her to the vets as soon as possible
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This won’t be painful for her right? She doesn’t seem to be acting different she seems fine

Correct, neither scenario is expected to be painful. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Much appreciated

It's my pleasure.