Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My shitzhu just ate 20 raisins do I need to bring him in

My shitzhu just ate 20 raisins do I need to bring him in tonight ?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Shih Tzu will be able to digest that. What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?
Customer: jimmy - 1 yr
Assistant: What is the Shih Tzu's name?
Customer: Jimmy
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jimmy?
Customer: No that’s all

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

20 raisins are enough to intoxicate (kidney damage) a 70 lb dog. Can you induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 pounds of body weight given with a small poultry baster placed between Jimmy's cheek teeth and cheek? He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To clarify I should use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting?

Yes, but if you can't induce emesis with two doses, Jimmy's vet can induce emesis more reliably with an injection of apomorphine.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did I get charged for a phone call?

...not unless you accepted a call from Just Answer.

May I have an update on Jimmy, please?