Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

You I have a 7 year old Bengal who has always had good

You
Hi, I have a 7 year old Bengal who has always had good health. On Wednesday she vomited in the morning soon after eating then later that day I noticed she had Diarrhea. She hardly touched food yesterday and she used her litter tray yesterday evening and still Diarrhea, and hasn’t eaten so far today. She isn’t herself, she is very quiet and not running around at all or wanting to play
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Bengal will be able to digest that. What is the Bengal's name?
Customer: Tallulah
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tallulah?
Customer: I can’t tho of anything. We have another cat, also 7 years old, who eats the same food and he is fine

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I noticed the Diarrhea yesterday was quite mucusy

Diarrhea and vomiting with a change in appetite can be due to stress, a sudden change in diet, eating things she should not (especially if she goes out unsupervised or is fed lots of table scraps), parasites, viral or bacterial infections, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut. Rarely a mass in the gastrointestinal tract can be the cause.

Because your other cat seems fine an infectious cause seems less likely.

I am concerned that she seems lethargic too, she bears close watching.

Since this has lingered for more than 24-48 hours and she isn't herself having her seen today would be best.

If that isn't possible I have some suggestions to try.

I would not offer any food for now. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.

Small amounts of water given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with diarrhea. You can give her clear broth or pedialyte to replace electrolytes too.

Typing more now...

To try and settle her stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 7 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 7 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12-24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and could help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if necessary as they have few side effects.

Typing more...

Today even with the fast a couple hours after the acid reducer dose is given you can start Kao-pectate . or any generic kaolin and pectin formulation at 1ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 7-10 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. This will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting again, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

Late today if she seems to feel better start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal since you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

You can also add probiotics to her bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.

Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours, eating well) start mixing in her regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

Ideally you should have her veterinarian check at least a couple fresh stool samples too for parasites as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and could be part of her trouble. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much - the things you have suggested to give her, are they all readily available in stores?

They all are human over the counter medications that pets can take too, so they should be available over the counter at the drug store.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That’s amazing, thank you so so much! Unfortunately I lost my job a few months ago and I couldn’t afford to renew the cats Health insurance!! I started a new job this week but no pay until 1st November so I can’t pay a vet right now!!! Thank you so much for your help

I hope this works for her then! Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bless you, have a great weekend