Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Persian long hair male 2 yrs old, Has had runny stools for

Persian long hair male 2 yrs old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What's the matter with the Persian?
Customer: Has had runny stools for weeks we stopped wet food and rich treats but is still having runny stools and after has been wiping his anus on the carpet only happened last 6 weeks and occasionally is sick yellow watery sometimes just heaves
JA: What is the Persian's name?
Customer: Simba only because we bought a female and was registered as Cinderella (cinders) and on a vets visit to be done found it to be a male and was neutered. not known if connected one testicle was higher up than the other and not sure if both were taken without issue or not
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simba?
Customer: No
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear Simba has been having this issue. Certainly, diarrhoea if this duration is abnormal and warrants looking into.
What diet is he on now?
Was his diet changed?
Any access to chemicals, house plants, plastic etc. he may be nibbling? Does he have outdoor access?
When was he last wormed and with what product?
How is his appetite and have you noticed any weight loss?
Are you in touch with the breeder and would you be able to ask if any siblings/relatives have similar issues?
Unless the vet mentioned anything after his castration surgery I would presume all went well; was this when he was a kitten?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dry biscuits we have another kitten who has some wet food but simba doesn't try it. diet changed weeks ago only by stopping cat treats as thought too rich for him there are house plants the kitten nibbles but not simba no outdoor access he is due an innoculation jab in november im guessing that would be the last time he was wormed unable to say with what his appetite is good no weight loss not in touch with breeder he was neutered over a year ago. Someone did suggest anal polyps as to the rubbing?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please continue
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello please continue
Thank you for this info.
So did the diarrhoea start before or after the food was changed?
Are the dry biscuits a sensitivity or gastrointestinal diet? If not, this could be worth trying. With any diet change it should be done gradually over several days. Royal Canin Gastrointestinal or Hills I/D are two options that are good for cats with loose stool.
Although he is indoors only he is still at risk or internal parasites, especially with a new kitten being introduced! I would certainly have him treated with a strong de-wormer such as Panacur. If kitten needs worming this should be done at the same time.
The most likely reason for the rubbing is that the sensitive skin around the bum is irritated because of the ongoing loose stool. Check the area for any clumps of dried poo or matted fur. An anal gland impaction is possible, especially if he hasnt been passing any solid stool. A vet can check for this and empty them if required.
Anal polyps are extremely rare in cats and would really only occur in older cats so this would not be top of my list at all.
Do you think he may be stressed from the new kitten? Stress can certainly cause stomach upset. If so, consider offering them more space from each other. Ensure they have all of their own resources (bed, toys, cat trees, litter trays etc) and perhaps invest in a plug in such as Feliway friends.
I would recommend a course of probiotic anti-diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin, Vetpro Digestive or Canigest. This can be give for 3 days and should help repopulate the gut with good bacteria.
In summary, I would consider a gastrointestinal diet (do not feed anything else at all), a strong worker and a probiotic paste.
If this does not resolve the issue, we should have him in for a vet check. They can assess his back end and may wish to send his stool to the lab for analysis.
Considerations if not resolving would include IBD or food allergies among others
Please do ignore any requests for phone calls as the website sends these automatically. I am more than happy to continue to chat via typing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Started before we stopped rich treats but a long time after we stopped wet food no special biscuits he has always had them even when he had wet food Can these items be obtained from a vet or elsewhere. The Kitten does give him the runaround but he chases her back nothing nasty appears friendly.
Good, that sounds like normal cat play!
All of the products I've mentioned are non prescription and can be purchased from pets, pet shops or online e.g. Amazon prime.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Absolutely. I can keep this window open for several days so we can continue to chat and you can keep me updated on how Simba gets on. Wishing him a speedy recovery!