Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My roommate just called to tell me my rabbit ate some ivy

Hi there my roommate just called to tell me my rabbit ate some ivy leaves from a floral arrangement
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your rabbit will be able to digest that. What is your rabbit's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he’s 4
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bean?
Customer: He weighs 2.2 pounds and has history with gas
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
How long ago did this happen and how much did we ingest ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe 15 mins ago and he ate 3-4 leaves
The problem is rabbits can not vomit to remove the ivy. Do you have a clinic in your area that sees rabbits ? I ask Thos such that we may need to be seen for fluid therapy and assistance to deal with this in the GI tract
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes
I would recommend to be seen at that clinic to see if they can do any type of gastric lavage or administer any products to help the toxins pass through the system without being absorbed into the body.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thanks
Any other questions I can answer today for you ? Until you get to the council. Ensure that we drink as much water as possible to try to dilute out the toxin too
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No that’s everything
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You are welcome. I wish you best of success today. Have a good day. Dr Mike
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks you too!
Anytime.