Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

12 years 9 months old Labrador sick for 3 days on metacalm

Customer Question

12 years 9 months old Labrador sick for 3 days on metacalm now on tramadol & omeprazol..... now diarhea given immodium and digestive care paste. Any idea why this is all occurring as only a bit arthritis usually fit and healthy
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Labrador's name?
Customer: Humphery
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Humphery?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Humphery. By the principle of Occam's Razor, he's experiencing the relatively common gastrointestinal adverse effects of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam. It was smart to stop administering it and tramadol is a reasonable substitute analgesic. The omeprazole is palliative for vomiting patients.

We need to consider, too, that Humphery's behavior at almost 13 years of age may not be related to the NSAID. At his age, any number of disorders can cause gastrointestinal distress and so if discontinuing the meloxicam hasn't normalized him within 72 hours, his vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including fasted (for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw; never restrict water, however) diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound may also be recommended. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Hi humphery now on immodium due to severe diarhea on a drip at the vet waiting on stool sample results. Blood test okay. I've been realistic and said if it's not curable we have to do the right thing by Humphrey
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 24 days ago.

I understand your pragmatism. I would be pleased to review the test results for you if you wish.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I've to phone in the morning so I'll jeep you posted but truly feel he's Bern a brave boy but 2 weeks later he's still not better!

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.

YW