Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog Bella has lumps all over her and her face has swollen

Customer Question

My dog Bella has lumps all over her and her face has swollen up and I don’t no what to do???
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella and she 9years
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No she’s never had any problems before.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. You appear to be describing an urticarial (hypersensitivity) reaction of hives, wheals - the lumps, and angioedema of her face. This reaction can be to food, vaccination, envenomation, plant, drug, or another chemical. Most dogs normalize unaided within 36 hours. An over the counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, generics) dosed at 1 - 2 mg per pound of body weight (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) every 8-12 hours can hasten resolution of the reaction.

If you happen to have a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone at home, please let me know and I'll give you a dose for Bella. Steroids are more effective than antihistamines for these dogs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’ve sent u a picture of what I’ve got I’ll have to go out and get something. What would be the best thing to get in England.?

The Piriton (chlorpheniramine) is a good choice when dosed at 0.2 - 0.5 mg/kg of body weight every 8-12 hours. Dogs often find the suspensions to be quite distasteful. You'll have better luck giving a tablet or capsule of the chlorpheniramine. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.