Dr.D
Dr.D, Veterinarian
Experience:  27 years of small animal medicine and surgery experience.Licensed in Florida and Canada
27194348

I think my cet may have been negligent when operating on my

I think my cet may have been negligent when operating on my dog, can you help with this?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Glasgow
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None just yet, my dog suffered an internal bleed and I think she has negligent when operating on her, I have a full report from vet hospital where they transferred her too
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dont think so

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well my bulldog was booked in for a c section at my vets to have her pups, before she went in they advised me that it would be better to spay her at the same as c section so I took there advise and went ahead. After operation my dog wasnt coming round as good as hoped for and by the end of the day the vet decided to transfer her to vet hospital, upon arriving within 10 minutes later I got a call from hospital saying they need to operate urgently due to an internal bleed. Looks like the blood was coming from cervix and 1 ovary after spaying and I'm thinking that vet hasn't took proper care when spaying my dog and has led to internal bleeding, i have the full report from vet hospital which cost me £5600 to save her life and now the vet who done c section is wanting another £2000 which I haven't paid yet until this matter has been looked at as I feel they are responsible for bleed. Any help would be great, thanks Jonny

Ok. Are you saying the vet was negligent?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I think she hasnt tied off the ovary and cervix properly which has caused the bleed although I need someone who knows about this to read over the hospital report

But have they been negligent?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Was hoping you could tell me this?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think they have been yes

I can't tell you sadly. I am a lawyer, not a vet. You posted this in legal.

Do you want me to get it moved?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah it's really a vet I need to speak to tell me, is there any vets in here?

Let, you posted this in legal.

I will transfer it.

Hello there, Sorry for the ongoing problem(S) , I am DrD , I will try to answer to your question ,
This is an unforeseen event but it happens . What strikes me is that the second veterinarian did the operation found one ovary was still there , is this correct ?
Were you informed that one ovary was going to be left intact by the first veterinarian ? Did you give a written consent for the C section and for spay ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry it was the suture on the ovarian stump tht I'm concerned about, I think blood still leaking from here after operation, I did sign something yes

Thank you ,
The the ligature slipped out of place and bleeding occurred. This can happen to any of us . Very bad situation for both . I am sure the Veterinarian did not leave the ligature loose intentionally . You can always talk to the him/her and show the report from the second veterinarian and ask for compensation.

I see you are from the UK . So there is a complaint committee with the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons of the UK ). You can get in touch with them at : https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/help-and-advice/ . and ask about replacing a complaint . They will investigate the case properly , get reports from both veterinarians and decide if there was a professional misconduct or not . If there is then you can always take the case to the court or the RCVS can arrange a settlement between you and the related party .

I am really sorry about this unforeseen event . This is very annoying I know . Please ask second vet to talk to first vet if he/she is willing to and perhaps this can be settled between you and the fist vet before things getting further which will be very annoying for my colleague. I hope this helps.

Please rate our conversation and accept my response if you are satisfied. I only can get rewarded for my time if you do so .I am here if you have more to ask . Thank you and good luck . And the best of all is that your dog is alive !

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, ligature was still in place but there was still a bleed I'm thinking maybe wasnt done correctly therefore was still bleeding after surgery? The same vet was negligent 2 weeks before with friends dog another c section and the vet left a pup still inside for 3 days till the bitch past it, and then with the news of my dog I'm thinking maybe vet is incompetent now that's why seeking further non biased advice

Thank you and I understand your concern and pain. Anything might have happened as you said.

As I said before , please talk to second veterinarian for his /her findings/ and talk to original veterinarian if he/she and you are willing to talk , if things are not working then RCVS will interfere and perhaps start an investigation. We can decide whether the veterinarian was negligent , had a professional misconduct or incompetent only after they conclude the investigation since there will be group of professionals will be investigating , reading the reports and listening the both veterinarians.

I hope this helps. Please rate my response and accept if you are satisfied with my answers , I can only get rewarded for my time by this way. Please do not hesitate to post if you have more questions. Thank you.

I really can not say whether he/she is incompetent or not .

Dr.D, Veterinarian
Experience: 27 years of small animal medicine and surgery experience.Licensed in Florida and Canada
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks for your help