Dr.D
Dr.D, Veterinarian
Experience:  27 years of small animal medicine and surgery experience.Licensed in Florida and Canada
27194348

Our dog is 10 years old( a border collie we got from an

Our dog is 10 years old( a border collie we got from an animal shelter) The vet told us, that it is likely that he went deaf because of chronic, untreated ear infections. We are very happy with him and he is responding well to sign language. I would like to know if there is a treatment to restore his hearing.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the Border Collie can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Border Collie's name?
Customer: His original name is***** are not so fond of that. As he is deaf we renamed him Dillon.
JA: [why=~finishing.1.0=DONE.~vet_expert.16.0 |v=38.0|persist_petname=: ] Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about :?
Customer: He shakes all over, when he is overstretched or excited. The vet did not give us an explanation for that.

Hello there ,

Welcome to ***** ,

I am DrD , I will try to answering to your question . I need some more information from you to determine how to approach to this case .

Does he have any active ear infection going on ? Is he on any ear medication at this moment ? Is there AT LEAST an x rays showing his inner ears ? I am waiting for your answers . Thank you

DrD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He does not have ay ear infection at present. I do not have any x-rays

Thank you for the response ,

"He does not have ay ear infection at present. I do not have any x-rays"

You see , we have no evidence suggesting this dog is deaf due to ear infection but your veterinarians statement . This could be true but I can not determine if this could be treated or not without knowing what exactly is going on in his ears. There are some works need to be done.

Ear exam and microscopic examination of the ear wax as well as culture and sensitivity test of the wax sample taken from the ear.
An x ray under sedation ( open mouth x rays to be able to see the inner ear bones ) will help us to determine if this ear infection was really invaded his inner ears and perhaps the nerves which may cause deafness ? Or was he deaf when he was born ? There is another valuable test will help to say that he was deaf when he was born called BAER test. This only can be performed at teaching hospitals ( veterinary colleges) or specialty clinics where there is a Neurologist among the staff.

Here is a comment from a University Professor regarding BAER test : BAER = Brainstem Auditory Evoked Potentials

What a BAER does is assess the electrical activity of several components of the auditory pathway in response to sound. So a BAER can tell you where in the pathway the problem is.

The problem is that both congenital deafness and ototoxins tend to affect the same region, the hair cells in the cochlea. So while a BAER can tell you where the problem is, it won't tell you the cause.

By the way, a lot of congenitally deaf puppies bark normally.

This is all I can tell you for your dog today. Please do not hesitate to come back and ask if you have more questions .

I will be more than happy to investigate more about this case . Please kindly rate our conversation for me to get rewarded for my time if you are satisfied with my responses. Thank you

DrD