Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My puppy Charlie is nearly ten weeks old, brought him home

My puppy Charlie is nearly ten weeks old, brought him home Friday. This morning he went to the toilet but continued to want to go outside and keeps straining with no joy. He’s very sleepy and just wants to sit in his crate. Took him to the vet this morning who said it could be worms, she also gave us some highly digestible food and some probiotic. I’ve managed to get him to eat some of the food but he’s still unable to go
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help Charlie. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: no

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this with Charlie, is he passing anything at all? Also is he still eating/drinking/bright in himself?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He’s urinated a couple of times but that’s it. He’s eating when I’m hand feeding him but hasn’t drunk much. The vet said he wasn’t dehydrated and his temperature is normal. No he’s not bright at all, keeps going back to his bed to sleep. We’ve got him out a couple of times for a walk around and he’s walking fine

OK. It could be that he is suffering from some colitis (inflammation of the large intestine) if this is the case then a bland diet, probiotics and parasite treatment should resolve things. If he remains lethargic or develops other symptoms such as vomiting or an elevated temperature then he will need to go back to your vets for a further checkup and investigation of the cause of his problem. If he becomes lethargic to the point where he is difficult to rouse then I would want him to go back to the vets urgently this evening.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much, very helpful. Obviously worrying as we’ve just brought him home but hopefully the steps you’ve outlined will work! Thank you again

You're welcome. I know how worrying it can be but hopefully everything will resolve quickly for him :) Any further worries feel free to message again.

Chris