Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Charlie our guinea pig has bloat. I am trying to explain to

Hi charlie our guinea pig has bloat. I am trying to explain to my family that we need to avoid fresh veg and fresh grass but I have no evidence to prove that this is the case and we need to stick with hay pellets and fluids ( and pain relief exercise metoclopramide etc as advised by vet.) Can you help me to convince them?! please.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Charlie age 5.5
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: He has had bloat in last few days.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Charlie still has a good appetite and is asking for treats. My partner says that he should therefore be allowed he fresh veg and piles of fresh grass that he usually manages.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this with Charlie, but I'm glad to hear that he is till eating. You are correct that his diet should be predominantly made up of hay with only small amounts of fresh veg and concentrate Pellets. This is essential to maintaining good digestive tract health and for keeping his teeth worn down properly.

I can send you a Guinea pig caresheet which you may find useful? Let me know if you would like me to.

Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Chris

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
yes Chris please could you send this. But my main question is WHY IS HAY ( dried grass) and water ok when fresh grass isn’t. I need to explain to my family why the grass and fresh veg ferments and therefore must be avoided. thanks
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
PS my partner is a doctor and I keep telling him herbivores are different!!

Indeed their digestive tract is very different. The excessive sugar and water content in fresh grass will result in the production of increased gas due to fermentation, this can become trapped in a frothy foam meaning that it does not pass out of the digestive tract. Bloat can in serious cases be fatal.

The caresheet I will send you is written by two leading exotics species veterinarians and contains some very good information regarding what you can and cannot feed Guinea pigs.

Let me know if you can open the attachment

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Chris . i can open the fact sheet as well. will read now.

You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any further questions.