Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat, he is 7 years old. Used to be out most of the day

My cat, he is 7 years old. Used to be out most of the day and in at night. Wouldn't hear a thing from him at night would just sleep on our bed. We moved house at the end of Sept. We kept him in for the first few weeks and all was fine. We have since let him out after he made signs of wanting to. We think he had a traumatic day/night as didn't return home and was very stressed when he did. Since then he will not go out during the day and only for 1 - 2 hours at night. He is then waking us up constantly by either wanting more food or wanting to come in and out of the house again. How do we get him back to the old routine? He is slowly killing us with tiredness as keeps waking our 2 year old up during the night as well as keeping us us for him
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Oreo
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?
Customer: No
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Any changes in eating or drinking? Any urinary or fecal accidents ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No changes to eating or drinking, no accidents either, we have a litter tray out since moving and has used that fine. Hasnt been using it lately for poos
Have the stools been more firm. Like constipated?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
As he hasnt been using the litter tray for stools I cant say. He is eating and drinking as normal.
If you palpate the abdomen is there any Pain or tenderness?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He hasnt shown any signs of pain when picking him up or anything. Doesnt seem bloated
Do you have any other pets ? What diet are we on?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No other pets. Wet and dry food
Is he feed freely. All the time ? Or do you put it out at i my certain times ?
How does he wake you up at night? Just crying or coming into the room and jumping up on the bed? Before the move all was perfect ? Did we also go outside during the day at the previous house ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We feed him in the morning and evening (whenever he asks for it) its then left out for the day/night for him
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He cries mainly. Both around the house and in our room. Yes all perfect before the move. Yes would go out in the morning when left for work and would come back in when I got home or later on in the evening.
We think he got spooked when going out for the first few times at the new house, as was out longer than usual (we thought we lost him)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He now will only go out for 1 or 2 hours during the night .
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
At the old property on occasions he spent the whole night out and would happily return in the morning (returned by own free will not from being called in)
I am from a ranch in the Dakotas. I am a cat person. I see this from time to time with my cats that go indoor and outdoor also.
Do we seem more nervous or anxious in the house at times? If you try to lock out of the bedroom. Does the meow still wake you up ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is anxious at times when my son is about.. 2years old likes paying him a lot of attention. The cat isn't an affectionate cuddly cat.
We tried locking him in the kitchen living room area (we are in a bungalow) the crying is still just as loud
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This isnt new though as would happen in the old property. The cat has found places to hide away and sleep away from my son
At the old place. We would go out during the day also? Is it a backyard we can go into that we are contained in or can we leave the yard and Wander the neighborhood when we are out ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes out during the day at old place. There is a back garden but can climb fence and wander round neighbour hood
Is there any way you could enclose a smaller area outside. Like in the deck possibly. That he can not escape from and he can be kept out doors for a time also? He may have been scared. Or with my cats they will Just do this as they feel like it. Cats are very independent this way. They do their own thing so much of the time.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There isnt any way I can enclose him. We have purchased a little house for him to hide in. He has been in it once whilst it was indoors to familiarise himself. It's out doors again with some treats in and his blanket for comfort (blanket he usually sleeps on the bed on)
Is it a case of just keep trying and he will soon overcome any fear he has?
If this is the case. It may be that way. I have more space so I can keep them far from my bedroom while they readapt to more outdoors. If it becomes bad enough. We may need to speak with your veterinarian about anti anxiety medications like paroxetine. I have found these to be very helpful in some cases. We have had lots of changes, growing child, new house , new neighborhood, possibly something else happened outdoors. This all causes stress and anxiety with them. Have you ever used catnip or Feliway?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We have used catnip for play. I have some in a bottle at home x
It can release natural endorphins. This may help to put in places like his house and before you go to sleep.
Feliway is a natural pheromone diffuser you can plug into the wall and as a spray. This may help with any anxiety too.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok will give them a go. Thank you
Any other questions I can answer for you ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No thank you
You are more than welcome. Best of success and have a great day. Dr Mike