Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a, 6 years old with a weakness in her back leg knee

Customer Question

I have a ***** *****, 6 years old with a weakness in her back leg knee cap. From time to time she ran on 3 legs but it seemed to sort itself and she was fine, About 2 months ago she dislocated her knee and was in very bad pain. Our vet manipulated the knee joint back into the socket and she was fine again. But couple days ago we woke up with her hobbling again (keeping the leg high up this time). She's not in pain but vet is now telling us she needs operation and it will cost £2,100 to fix. My question really is there anything we can do without an op at this time and is this a normal charge seems extortionate to me. Obviously not covered by insurance. Thanks for letting me know.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the jack's name?
Customer: Bonnie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bonnie?
Customer: She's a healthy, weight perfect little dog. She's not your typical russell, we've been told she's actually a plummer...so not with squat little legs...they are quite long and delicate.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this problem with Bonnie. It sounds as if she has been diagnosed with a luxating patella - a fairy common problem in terrier type breeds. In mild cases surgery is not required as the luxation is only intermittent and doesn't result in pain, however in some cases it does get progressively worse and can cause pain and ultimately arthritis in the knee joint. It can also make them more prone to cruciate ligament disease. In these more advanced cases a surgical correction is recommended.

Have you been to see an orthopedic surgeon yet to discuss her condtion and the surgery? In my opinion the price you have been given is fairly good if the operation is going to be performed by a specialist. I know my practice would charge ~£3000 for this type of surgery so it sounds like you are getting quite a reasonable deal.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Chris

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 16 days ago.

Hello again, just checking that you were able to view my response?