Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I recently took my dog to my current vet as he hadn’t eaten

Customer Question

I recently took my dog to my current vet as he hadn’t eaten properly in two days, he had vomited both days and although otherwise he seemed fine in himself, still bright, I was concerned he may have eaten one of his toys and incurred a blockage.We were referred to the hospital by the same company where he stayed overnight and most of the next day. I had signed a consent form of which initial consultation etc might incur costs of up to £1000.When we picked him up we were told he either had pancreatitis as his Pancreas was slightly inflamed or gastroenteritis as he had gas and a little fluid in his stomach.He had 2 Xrays, one ultrasound scan, was put on a drip, knocked out (presumably for all three tests) there are a few other costs I can’t quite make out. He was sent home with liquid paracetamol and liquid omeprazole and he definitely seemed to be in a much worse state than when we left him there which was concerning.
He was definitely lethargic which I can assume was the drugs, and not eating properly but there is also a red lump on the tip of his penis which we noticed after we got home last night.The total cost of the visit had totalled £1300+ which is surely extortionate for essentially not being given a definitive answer and being sent home with paracetamol and acid tablets.I signed up to £1000 and although I was given a call by the vet halfway through his stay to inform me of possible pancreatitis and that there was a small part of the intestine he could not see there was no mention of any further costs on top of what I had agreed. Does this all sound like regular practice to you?I can send you over the invoice if helpfulHollieRegards
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 9 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 9 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. When it comes to the price of treatment it would seem that you were given an estimate for the investigations/treatment which the vets considered were going to be likely, however it is important to note that it is impossible to envisage all possible circumstances at this point and predict exact what treatment or tests will be required. That said, the practice should contact you an the earliest opportunity to discuss any further additional costs which will exceed the estimate given. Why this did not occur is something that you would need to discuss with the practice themselves.

As far as the diagnosis/treatment goes - if you would be able to forward me his clinical history and blood results I can try to help any further questions you may have able his results. I can also try to explain any of the invoiced items if you wish. Although I'm sure that your practice would also be happy to answer any further questions you may have

Best wishes for your dogs recovery.

Chris

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 8 days ago.

Hi, just checking if you were able to view my response and if you have any further questions?