Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

She has broke her leg she's not eating and hasn't urinated

Hi she has broke her leg she's not eating and hasn't urinated
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A cat she is 17months
Assistant: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Precious
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?
Customer: No
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Which leg is broken? When did this happen? Are we on any medications?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Right leg

Front or back leg? And at what location on the leg?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Front leg and half way up the leg she is on tralieve and loxicom

How many days ago did this happen? Did the appetite just stop today or has it been decreasing for days?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thursday night this week been thinking vet had xrays it's a clean break I'm just �� Ed because she's not ate anything or urinated today I was told to keep her in a large cage with all her stuff

What have you been offering to feed and to drink as of now?

Have the stools been getting firmer also?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Just her usual food which is shebba and water that's wat she normally gets
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Could it be because she's confined to the one space she's not happy has been sleeping for nearly five hours

Many times we can have pain which can affect the bowel movements, Tralieve is a pain medication that may also affect GI motility too. It may slow it down, we may get a little constipated from this. A combination of the the pain and the medication may be decreasing our appetite. In this case I would recommend to vary the diet with : milk , yogurt, tuna, tuna juice, canned cat food with gravy, hamburger, chicken, fish, or turkey to start with .

How long were we at the clinic and when did we return home also?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's.cat food in gravy I'm giving her I only have. semiskimmed milk in house have chicken yogurt but it's fruit based

That milk will be fine, it will get energy and liquid into the system to prevent dehydration, also if we had any constipation starting in, the dairy will help with that also. You can always pick up some vanilla yogurt, this will work better than the fruit based yogurt.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Went to the clinic at ten o'clock yesterday morning came home at seven has a splint on with bandage and neck collet she did eat her dinner last nite wen she came home and dry food and drank water nothing today also constipated so if I try her with some chicken and milk will that be ok
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
D you think with all the sadation drugs and the confined cage thing it's up set her wee system

After all of that activity, constipation can happen and decreae appetite and the urge to sleep more and to be tired also today. There is also a product called Laxatone or Laxaire that comes in a tube like toothpaste you can get it at a pet store. It helps with constipation too. However I find dairy works just as well or better and they enjoy it and take it better.. We can leave this question open for 5 days in the event anything changes along the way.

If she is not drinking as much, she also will not urinate as much, also since the leg works differently now with the fracture, that will also affect the bathroom behavior I have found also.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She has been sleeping for five hrs maybe she didn't sleep well last nite wen I got up this morning she was sleeping your probably all the activity the last few days that's up set her
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for all your help and advice it was very much appricated as I was getting worried

Right now you need to focus on giving her the medications, helping her to walk and to use litter box, many times I have had to have clients cut the end of the litter box down so that they can walk into it if they can not get over the lip of it too start with. Also be sure to keep us well fed and hydrated and all should be fine. If anything changes, feel free to write back here to me and I will help with more ideas for you .

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you I felt that with her litter tray and bought her a better one today she's to be kept in her cage for six weeks is that a gd idea

That sounds like a good idea to allow time for all to get better and to recover and take it easy while the bone healing is occurring.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much as my vet wasn't as helpful

Well thank you for those kind words. I am a cat lover also. I can tell with your great care and concern this little one is going to do just fine. IN the future, if you ever need, you can request for me to answer follow up questions, I will be happy top, just ask customer service to forward to Doctor Mike