Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have two 4.5 month old kittens. I left a super strength

I have two 4.5 month old kittens. I left a super strength 600mg omega 3 concentrated fish oil capsule on the kitchen counter and forgot to take it. It has disappeared and I can't find it on the floor so I am worried one of the cats has eaten it and it may be dangerous for them. Please advise. Thanks
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Both been vaccinated as required for their age.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand your concern about one of your kittens ingesting a super strength omega 3 fish oil capsule.

The good news is that cats can take these too, and actually take a higher amount pound per pound than people do.

Even with that 600mgs is likely a higher dose than we would normally give a 3-4 pound cat, but you are unlikely to see any serious effects from a one time higher than normal dose. You may see some nausea, loss of appetite and loose stools for 24-48 hours or you may see no effects at all. Even if you see some effects they will be self limiting, and should resolve on their own.

I would not be concerned about this at all.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I read about liver failure and poisoning from vitamins online. The ingredients of the capsules is given as: Fish oil concentrate (Fish oil, Mixed Tocopherols), Capsule Shell (Gelatin, Glycerin). Does that sound OK for the kittens? They weigh around 4kg, as you noted.

Yes, cod liver oil can be a concern as it is very high in vitamins A & E. That toxicity also tends to be more of a concern with repeated doses.

That's not the case with the omega 3 capsules, they have concentrated levels of omega 3 fatty acids. Your kittens should really be fine other than possible mild stomach upset.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Many thanks, your reassurance is most welcome and your advice clear and answers my concerns directly. You have certainly earned a 5 star rating from me. Thanks again. Chris

Glad to help, enjoy your little ones. It sounds like they will keep you on your toes!