Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I think my dog swallowed a chewing stick but not sure

Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Sky, 4 months
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sky?
Customer: No
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise for the delay in answering your question and hope I can still help.
What breed is Sky?
What chewing stick exactly was it; do you have a brand name?
Do you think it was swallowed whole and if so how much was left?
Did it cause any choking/ gagging or vomiting?
When did it happen?
Since happening, any symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy or reduced appetite?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sky is a French bulldog, the chewy twist with chicken is from good boy/pawsley&co. , she ate the chicken around it and chewed a bit then swallowed the white bit almost hole, she gagged twice after it happened last night but has been fine till now, she pooped already and ate too, no vomiting and no lethargy till now.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That's the sticks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
.

Thank you for such a thorough response. My dog eats these too!

The main hazard would be that she could have choked at the time but luckily this did not happen and she managed to swallow the stick. The stick itself is made from a mixture of rawhide and chicken. While the chicken is fine, rawhide can cause digestive issues for some. It is quite possible that the chew will pass fine but we do need to monitor Sky to ensure this is the case.

There is a small risk that the chew will cause an obstruction in her digestive tract, however, we would know if this is occurring. At the moment, it sounds as though all is fine and fingers crossed it continues this way.

Over the next few days we would want to watch closely for the following signs: Gagging, vomiting, reduced appetite, lethargy, diarrhoea/constipation and abdominal bloating. If these symptoms occur, it would be important to have her examined by a vet.

Please try not to worry too much. This sort of incident is very common in pups and most experience no complications.

We could add some mashed up/tinned pumpkin to her meal to increase the fibre content and help things pass along. Similarly, ensure she is drinking enough and consider adding some water to her food, to help with her digestion.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, Dr. Linda

Thank you for the kind accept and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have. Have a lovely day!