Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has a lump on his cheek, not sure what it is or how

My dog has a lump on his cheek, not sure what it is or how to treat it
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Clyde, 7 years
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clyde?
Customer: He’s a rescue dog so I don’t know much about his history, he does have a blocked saliva gland that was treated with clavaseptin but it goes down and reappears
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The lump is just below his eye, it’s hard and was painful, he had 5 days of metacam and it went down but has come back up again but doesn’t seem painful. He still eats, drinks, plays and chews large toys easily.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

I'm in the Hawaii time zone, 10 hours earlier than you but I promise to reply as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Did you receive the pictures?

Regrettably, no pics uploaded here. For help, please see here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-I-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have tried uploading again

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Excellent pic. This is the area that swells and may fistulate (open up and drain) when a maxillary tooth root abscess - fourth premolar or first molar, usually - has arisen. Clyde's right maxillary arcade needs to be carefully examined and dental X-rays may be needed to spot an occult tooth root abscess. If found, the tooth is usually extracted although a root canal might be performed in order to salvage an important chewing tooth. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
How would this have occurred?

Trauma to the tooth causing a hairline or slab fracture - most often by chewing something damaging. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll set a follow up for a few days from now but please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.