Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat has a huge legion on his back leg, he has had it for

My cat has a huge legion on his back leg, he has had it for a year and a half and hasn’t got better. He has had numerous things to help sort it from the vets but nothing is working.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: He has a huge sore on his back leg that he has had for over a year, he keeps licking it. He is now stripping the fur off his tail.
Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Giles and he is 4
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Giles?
Customer: I have tried him on food trials, he is on atopica, he has been tried on aqaquel, I have tried to keep a cone on him to heal it. He has also had lesions on his top of his back and head and neck, all of which have healed but scabs still remain.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Picture

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this. Do you have a slightly closer up picture of this lesion?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes one second..
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Another
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My vets also tried steroid injections which made it start to heal but wore off within a week and a half. He is also up to date on fleas and the vet did skin scrapings and didn’t find any mites etc. I have been back and forth for nearly two years and think I need a second opinion. I also have another cat who is healthy and has no similar symptoms.

Ouch, that's quite a nasty lesion. It looks better in the second picture though. This looks like a severe inflammatory lesion and secondary skin infection. I would want to treat this with quite a long course of antibiotics (6-8 weeks) and probably a course of steroids for that time as well. You are correct that there is likely to be an underlying allergic cause such as atopic dermatitis or flea allergy.

Thanks for the extra information, you may find that oral steroids will be more effective here as they can be tapered to the lowest effective dose

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He has been on Atopica syringed into his mouth for about 3 months now with no effect at all.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He has never taken the hair from his tail before, do you think this is all related. He also has a Lesion on the back of his tounge, like a lump but the vet didn’t seem that concerned about that as he is eating and drinking

OK, so I would think that steroids may in fact be more effective for this type of inflammatory lesion.

Yes the hair loss on the tail is likely connected. It is hard to say about the tongue lump though without a biopsy.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you

You're welcome.

If you're Vet is still struggling to get on top of things then referral to a specialist dermatologist can also be considered.

Please let me know if you need any further help. I would be grateful if you could leave me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My vet was a specialist dermatologist it’s just nothing we were trying was working. Thanks again

I see. Well I would discuss your concerns with them and see if they will change the treatment plan.

I hope you can manage to get this sorted out for him.

Best wishes,

Chris