Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We took our 13 year old cat to the vet as she had been

Hi, we took our 13 year old cat to the vet as she had been vomiting constantly after eating. They done a blood test and that came back clear but they advised to change her diet to just boiled chicken. She normally eats dry food. She has not been eating the recommended diet and also whenever she has wet food she is still vomiting straight after. She has lost significant weight and also does not drink any water as she used to. We are unsure what to do currently
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: This problem has been going on for at least 6 weeks. It has been 2-3 since vet gave clear blood test results
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda
Just a few minutes as I type my response
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm sorry to hear your cat has not been well.
Constant vomiting in conjunction with weight loss is a definite concern, particularly in a senior cat.
A blood test alone will not pick up on every disease/illness and while it can be useful to detect e.g. liver or kidney disease, it will not detect other conditions such as certain cancers or inflammatory bowel disease.
Hence, a normal blood test rules out certain things but would simply indicate further tests need to be run.
As a start, we should run a basic urine and faecal test.
We also need to check which blood tests have been run. For example, some more specific tests checking for intestinal absorption would be useful. Similarly, a thyroid check would be advised if not already run.
On top of these tests, I suspect some imaging studies would be of benefit. For example, a chest xray and abdominal ultrasound can often provide us with a diagnosis.
So, although a normal blood test is reassuring to a degree there is clearly something going on and we need to run some more specific tests to determine what is happening so we can hopefully start treatment.
Bland food is easiest to digest so chicken, rice, white fish or a prescription diet such as Hill's I/D or Royal Canin Gastrointestinal is advised. Feeding little and often works best.
If not done, it would also be wise to ensure your cat is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.
I am unable to make a phone call at this time (I apologise, as the website offers this service automatically). I am happy to continue to talk via typing.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for your response, unfortunately vets are closed near me currently so unable to take my cat anywhere. The vet did mention a powder soluble in water to give her, where can these be available if not at the vet?
If your concern is to get some sort of food/water in to your cat then you have a few options.
You can cook a chicken breast in warm water and offer the flavoured water, or even give it via a syringe.
Similarly, you could blend down some meat, fish or wet food in a food processor and syringe it or offer it by hand.
Powder solutions such as Lectade can be useful to provide electrolytes and fluid and can be purchased from pets at home, online or from the vet. Some cats will drink these from a bowl while others need to be syringed.
A vet food called Hills A/D is a soft food that is high in calories and very palatable so is worth trying. This can be purchased online or from a vet.
You may have to find a few different things until you hit on something that works. If your kitty is really not eating or drinking, a stay at the vets on a fluid drip may be recommended.