Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

ITHINK MY FEMALE CAT HAS A SENSITVITY TO FIPRINOL, She is

Customer Question

ITHINK MY FEMALE CAT HAS A SENSITVITY TO FIPRINOL
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: She is losing small lumps of hair and seems to be losing skin in tiny flakes
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mog over 10 years old was a stray !
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mog
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mog?
Customer: all black with a rounded face , like a burmese type
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mog. A few skin hypersensitivity reactions to fipronil have been reported, most likely to the carrier in the product. Fipronil isn't absorbed and so bathing Mog weekly in a hypoallergenic shampoo for a few weeks should remove all of the fipronil. I'm concerned that you may be describing miliary dermatitis +/- bacterial skin infection (pyoderma), however. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.