Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My kitten is lethargic, weak, not eating or drinking and is

Hi, my kitten is lethargic, weak, not eating or drinking and is shivering
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Hugo
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hugo?
Customer: He was neutered about 1.5 weeks ago
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can see the shivering here
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear Hugo is not himself.
When did this behaviour start?
What age is Hugo and does he have any medical issues I should know about or is he on any medicine?
Is he up to date with vaccines and wormer?
How long has it been since eating anything?
Can you think of anything that may have triggered this e.g. diet change, eating something he shouldn't, exposure to anything toxic (chemical cleaners, house plants, anti freeze etc), trauma?
Does he have access to the outdoors or contact with any other cats?
Shivering can be seen with stress, pain or a fever. Does he feel warm to touch at his ears? Does he seem anxious or is he hiding away? If you feel him all over are there any sore spots or is he limping or over grooming a specific area?
Thank you for this information which will help me provide you with the best answer
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He’s been on and off his food for the last few weeks but it usually only lasts a few hours then is back to usual. But today is the worst.
He’s about 5/5.5months old now. No medication and usually fit and well.
Yes fully up to date with vaccination and worming.
He’s an indoor cat, we also have another kitten who’s roughly the same age and she’s been with us about 3 weeks. They get on pretty well so I wouldn’t say it was linked to her at all.
No he doesn’t feel warm to touch at his ears. Cooler rather than anything.
He’s not anxious at all, is lying on the bed and is happy for us to stroke him. I’ve felt all over and he meowed when I touched his stomach and he never usually meows.
Apart from that he’s just really weak and is wobbly and can’t walk properly
So he did eat yesterday? That's reassuring as we want to avoid dehydration. To check his gums to ensure they are pink and moist.
If the other cat is well and there have not been any scuffles (no scratches or bites) then the other cat is likely not the cause.
If he is shivering and feels cool fo ensure the room is nice and warm and he has the option of lying on a thick blanket.
Being wobbly and weak really is a concern and in a young cat who isnt eating well may be due to mild dehydration, low blood sugar levels etc. This really should be looked into further.
Typically, we would run a basic blood test and we may decide to put him on a drip if required. If his lack of appetite is due to nausea, anti nausea medicine will be given. If there is indeed a fever, we can also give medicine to bring this down.
I understand it is Sunday but your vet will provide 24 hour care. This may be at your usual clinic or at one nearby.
While this may just be a 24 hour virus, given how young the kitten is and the fact that they seem weak/wobbly, I think we should err on the side of caution here.
With regards food, I would try boiled white chicken or fish which he may find tempting enough to eat and is easily digestible. You could offer some of the water that the meat or fish is boiled in. If refusing to drink, you could syringe a little in his mouth.
Unfortunately I am unable to make a phone call at this time (apologies as I know the website offers this automstically), but am happy to continue to talk via chat if that's ok.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yeah he ate yesterday. His gums seem pale punk but moist. The other kitten has had conjunctivitis recently, that’s been treated but her eye does look mucky again today.
We have rung our vet and considering taking him.
Good, moist means his hydration should be ok and he is unlikely to need intravenous fluids.
Conjunctivitis can occur alone or in conjunction with e.g. cat flu. Symptoms can include lethargy, a fever, sneezing, coughing, runny eyes & nose so it would be worth considering he may have flu or a similar virus that is making him feel unwell.
I do think a vet check would be wise (hopefully just as a matter of reassurance) and please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No problem at all and wishing Hugo a very speedy recovery