Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog was sick about 2am... a lot of sick. I starved her

My dog was sick about 2am... a lot of sick. I starved her for 12 hours, then gave her a small portion of chicken and rice. Around 4PM gave her another small portion as she seemed hungry, she ate it and about 10 minutes later was sick, and then a further 3 times. She is very lethargic. Her gums are pink and her nose is wet.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Lulu. She will be 6 next week
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lulu?
Customer: no
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm sorry to hear Lulu is not herself.
Does she have any medical history I should know about and is she on any medicine?
Has she been neutered?
Other than vomiting and lethargy any other symptoms e.g. diarrhoea, increased thirst, coughing, recent weight loss?
Is she the kind of dog to eat things she shouldn't such as socks/plastic?
Any access to anything toxic e.g. house plants, chemical cleaners, anti freeze?
Did anything change before she got ill e.g. change in diet, change in routine, walk in a new place?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She has no medical conditions.
She was neutered at 8 months.
No, she doesn’t eat things she doesn’t.
No access to anything she shouldn’t have.
She went to the groomers yesterday, she is quite fretful when she goes, shakes and cries when I leave her. No change in diet or walks.
No diarrhoea, excess thirst, coughing or weight loss
Thank you for this information.
It may well be that the stress/anxiety has made her ill or has perhaps suppressed her immune system so she picked up a virus/gastrointestinal upset.
It's also possible she managed to eat something she shouldn't without being seen or perhaps was given some new treats at the groomers that didnt agree with her.
While the most likely diagnosis is a stomach upset we do also need to be cautious that there is not something else going on such as pancreatitis (an inflamed pancreas which can sometimes occur after eating fatty food), addisons (a hormonal condition that can make dogs unwell but has vague and non specific symptoms), a blockage (although this is less likely given the fact she is not a scavenger) or something else.
As it has not yet been 24 hours, we may still be able to manage her conservatively. I would want to ensure her gums are pink and moist, her abdomen is soft and comfortable and she does not develop any further symptoms.
Bland foods such as boiled white chicken/ fish and rice are the way to go but maybe try her with a smaller portion. Do not give any dog food or treats and do allow her access to water.
If you feel the lethargy is excessive, she deteriorates or the vomiting continues she would need to be assessed. The first likely test the vet will run would be a blood test to check for e.g. an infection, internal disorder or pancreatitis. If dehydrated they will put her on a drip and, if needed, will give some medicine such as anti nausea medicine.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Her gums are pinks but they do not feel moist
If they feel sticky/tacky she may be dehydrated and this would certainly make her lethargic. If this is the case and we can't get her to hold down any food or water it may be necessary to admit her for some fluids. If she is only mildly dehydrated the vet may decide to give an electrolyte solution mixed with water such as Lectade which can be administered at home, however if she continues to vomit then this would not be an option.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok, thank you. Yes they are like that. She has been drinking sips of water. Am I ok to monitor her through the night and take her to the vets in the morning?
Its difficult to say for certain without examining her I'm afraid. However if her gums are dry enough that you can detect this I would advise having her assessed this evening if possible as dehydration can lead to reduced organ perfusion and shock which can be quite serious.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you
Absolutely. Please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.