Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

My basset hound keeps vomiting. He has been like this for

My basset hound keeps vomiting. He has been like this for the last 2/3 hours. How can I help him? He had his food this morning and nothing till this evening. He woofed it down but sicked it up soon after.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your basset hound eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of!! He can get his nose into black bags! I haven’t noticed him eat anything he shouldn’t.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your basset hound's name and age?
Customer: Bertie. He is 4 years old. Thank you.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bertie?
Customer: No.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He is vomiting mucous white froth.

Hi there, this is Dr. Sara. How many times has he vomited in the last 2-3 hours? Is he pacing or can he settle down?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He has vomited about 7/8 times in the last 3 hours. Yes he is pacing. In the last 40 mins he has vomited 3 times. He can’t settle poor dog.

Hmmm, I am worried about bloat. He has vomited a lot of times and he is considered a deep chested large breed dog. Do you have an emergency hospital near you or is someone on call? I think this sounds like an emergency.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Oh dear. Not sure about the emergency hospital. How can I find out?

The best way would be to call your regular veterinary office and they should either have an answering service or a recording that tells you where to go for an after hours emergency. You could also look online for a 24hr hospital near you. I hate to worry you and cause alarm, but this is very concerning.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. I’ve phoned my local vet and the emergency vet answered. I’m taking him there now. I’m really worried about him. Fingers crossed he’ll be ok. Thank you for your help.

Excellent! Good luck. Hope all is well. You are welcome.