Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice
21779527

I have a 4 1/2 month old lab puppy and poorly at the moment

Hi good evening, I have a 4 1/2 month old lab puppy and poorly at the moment
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?
Customer: Within the last 48 / 72 hours shes gone from very jumpy and bouncy to very lethargic and sleeping a lot. In the same time period her stool has gone from normal with no blood to very liquidy with a relatively speaking lot of red blood
Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the lab's name?
Customer: Sapphire
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sapphire?
Customer: About 1 1/2 months ago we treated her for worms which were again causing bloody poo and she took a gritty medication for a week to help slow things down and give her gut time to heal

Thank you for your question. My name is Dr. Stacy. I have been a small animal veterinarian for 16 years and I would like to help. Can you tell me when your puppy received her most recent vaccine?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yep she got her 2nd round of vaccinations on the 28th October this year
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My phone signal is very poor other wise I would

At 4 months of age your puppy is very susceptible to parvo virus. Any immunity that she received from her mother has worn off and unless she has been fully vaccinated against parvo she is susceptible. If more than 4 weeks has passed since her last vaccine then she is susceptible. She is just over that 4 week mark. The symptoms of parvo include lethargy, vomting and bloody diarrhea. I suspect this is what is going on.

Parvo is a serious and potentially life threatening virus that is ideally treated with IV fluids and medications. Can you get her to a veterinarian ASAP for testing and treatment? If not, then the best thing you can do for her at home is focus on keeping her hydrated.

Other potential causes of lethargy and bloody stool include some parasites (although those are more of a problem around 2 months rather than 4 months) or toxins. You would need testing to know for sure.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning at 9am, she is drinking normal ish which is good,
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you genuinely hadn't though of those lil buggers, will definitely be mentioning that and as soon as able start a full course of anti parasitic medication

okay... until then just focus on keeping her drinking. You can dilute pedilyte half and half with water and see if shell drink it. If not, then dilute chicken broth is fine. I wouldn't worry about food unless she wants a little bit of something easy to digest like chicken meat. That would be fine.

If she is drinking and not vomiting then tomorrow should be fine for the vet, but if she is weak or has severe vomiting then try to get her in sooner.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Will do, thank you so much, we definitely have a direction to go in now when we get to the vets. Will keep her food bowl topped up and the house a nice temperature to make her comfy

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You really have helped so much thank you and also for me aswell so I know how best to look after her tonight

Best wishes

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you :)