Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has been sick on and off for the last 4 days, only

Hi my dog has been sick on and off for the last 4 days, only sick once then is totally fine, he is drinking water, has a healthy appetite and is running around as usual. He is a lab golden retriever cross and is about 38kg, do I need to take him to a vet or wait it out for a few more days?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bowie
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bowie?
Customer: No he is 2, super healthy otherwise, and all up to date with his injections, worming and flea treatments
Hi there , you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi there ��
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, sorry I have not used this site before, would you prefer a call or is this a standard pop up? Thanks Jo
I'm sorry to hear Bowie is not himself.
Could you describe the vomit e.g. bile, foam, food?
Can I confirm that he has no medical conditions and is not on any medication?
Does he have any other symptoms e.g. diarrhoea, increased thirst, lethargy, increased panting?
Can you think of anything that may have triggered this e.g. change in diet, new treat/chew, eating something he shouldn't have (e.g. plastic, a toy) or access to anything toxic (e.g. house plants, chemical cleaners)?
Would he allow you to check his gums to ensure they are pink and wet & to feel his tummy to ensure it is soft and comfortable?
This is a standard pop up and text works best for me if that's ok!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Text is Totally fine with me! Bowie is cuddled in right now with me. He is vomiting a brown liquid, with some undigested food in it (not huge amounts) he was sick Saturday evening, Sunday early hours of the morning, fine Monday and then sick today through the day. Drinking the usual amounts, full of energy and his usual happy self, no panting, his tummy feels normal, no bloating or anything hard feeling, gums are pink and wet. We are not aware of him eating anything different, he is trying to eat mud, but we are stopping him wherever we can. He is just a little more cuddly than normal.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
And no medications at all other than his worming tablets, he last had them a month ago on a 3 month tablet and he wears a flea collar which he has had on for several weeks. His last annual vaccination was in Feb 2019
Great, thank you for this.
When you say a brown liquid can I confirm that this is not dark like coffee granules? There are no flecks of red or pink? And his stool is not a tarry black colour?
Vomiting can have many causes such as eating something inappropriate or picking up a virus. In a young and otherwise healthy dog it is rarely a cause for concern when the dog remains active, hungry and well hydrated and should resolve shortly.
It is of course important that we monitor for any deterioration or development of further symptoms. However, I would expect that we can manage him at home and he should get better shortly.
The key is to feed only bland and digestible food for a couple of days. This means no dog food, treats, chews etc. Ideally he should have a few small meals of boiled white chicken and rice daily as well as water. This should continue until the vomiting has stopped and then we can gradually reintroduce his normal diet.
I would double check the home and garden for anything he could have gotten into such as an open bin, human medicine, flowers in a vase, antifreeze in the garage etc.
You could give him a few days worth of omeprazole which is given at a dose of 1mg/kg every 24 hours. So a 30kg dog would receive 30mg. This can help reduce nausea and vomiting and can be purchased from a chemist.
If he is slightly quieter than usual feel free to reduce exercise slightly and allow him to rest.
One further thing to add: simply because of his age and breed, I would always be slightly suspicious of a foreign body (eating something that has gotten stuck and is causing an obstruction).
However, those with a blockage would typically also have a reduced appetite, a bloated and painful stomach and would be vomiting more frequently (often even unable to hold down water).
I only mention this as if symptoms do not resolve (which they should) this would be something worth looking into.
Labradors and their crosses are always the ones I find myself removing socks from!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, thanks for this we have started the chicken and rice diet today, I can confirm there is no red or pink in the vomit, it’s a ‘mid’ brown colour and his poo is totally standard if you excuse the generalisation.
Oh great, you are way ahead of me!
Good, I just wanted to check that there was no evidence of internal bleeding, which it seems there is not.
Does he ever eat his own or others stool when outside? Perhaps not but, if so, this can sometimes cause brown vomiting.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thankfully he is not a sock thief! He is also is not one for eating poop, not since he was a teeny pup. He just loves to chew his chuckit ball, but he hasn’t damaged it (so not swallowed any plastic) he is a total worktop creeper so we keep all countertops garden etc totally clear, but I am totally all over checking his tummy for bloating and frequency of sickness. It seems to be once or twice in quick succession then fine for the next 14-24 hours or so then sick again and totally fine. But yes as per other lab crosses he totally has the endless tummy if given half a chance he would be in everything!
That's a relief and I wish I could say the same for my dog not being a sock thief!
I feel that an obstruction is highly unlikely given the frequency of vomiting, but always worth having on the radar.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks so much for the advice. We will keep a close eye for the rest of this week. If he is still poorly by the end of the week or he gets worse we will get him in to our local vet. Thank you again
No problem at all. This window will stay open for several days so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions at no extra cost. Fingers crossed he is better very soon!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you again