Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 14yr old has been on Trcoxil 6mg per month for 18 months.

My 14yr old ***** ***** has been on Trcoxil 6mg per month for 18 months. It is now unavailable until end of February. He has been given 2mg per day of Ramidyl in the meantime started a week ago when his Tricoxil was due. Is it safe to take until Trcoxil is available?
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: ***** ***** is a smal - 9kg - terrier.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the terrier?
Customer: He has a thritis in his back legs.
JA: Where does the terrier seem to hurt?
Customer: His back legs. He has a walks in a slow canter. Does not seem in any pain.
JA: OK. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Bailey.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: He is also prescribed Advanced Yumove - glocosmin and chrondotin daily tablet.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

These are both NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory) medicines and can certainly be substituted for one another and you should find they provide roughly the same pain relief.

However, it is usually recommended that we have a 5 day wash-out period in between changing NSAIDs. During this time, you may wish to manage the pain with other pain relief medications, such as an opioid like Tramadol.

However, do discuss this with Bailey's vet as they may feel the risk is low and they would rather have him on an NSAID at all time (if his arthritis is quite bad) so may want you to just continue the meds without a gap at all.

Do keep an eye out for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea or blood in the poo.

6 monthly blood tests are recommended for dog on long-term NSAIDs.

Do continue with the Yumove, which will not interfere with the NSAIDs.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Many thanks for your reply. My vet did instruct that Ramadyl was to be started when his next Tricoxil does was due.

Perfect, that sounds absolutely fine to me.

Please do feel free to ask any further questions you may have.