Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog keeps eating another dogs poo and I dont know why?

Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Is it his food? Do I need to find better food for him? He has raw tripe in the morning and then crave dry food with probiotic
Assistant: How old is Is?
Customer: Samson he is 2
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Is?
Customer: No he isn't natured but in full health
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
This is actually a relatively common issue and would also happen in the wild. It typically has more to do with the diet of the other dog than anything else.
When a dog has a poor quality diet they often have strong smelling poos that contain quite a bit of undigested food that can be tempting to others. Similarly, if they have any intestinal disease or they overeat their poo may seem more like dog food as it is poorly digested.
As long as Samson is a good weight and has a healthy coat and no health issues I wouldnt worry.
He does however need regular worming as he could potentially pick up parasites from the poo.
If he eats it on a walk and it is a real issue consider basket muzzling him if necessary.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It's my in laws dog so would you suggest that it is to do with Winston rather than sam?
Yes, more likely although there may not be anything wrong at all.
Naturally, 1 in 4 dogs will eat poo so it isn't really classed as an issue unless it is excessive.
It is also possible that it is a territory thing. So your dog may be 'cleaning away' Winston's scent to say that it is his territory, not Winston's.
Would this make sense for Samson? Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is definatley the under dog when they are together so I suppose it could be true

What would you suggest to stop it? He doesnt eat any other poo or his own
It's a behaviour that is difficult to stop. Ideally, we would clear away Winston's poo as soon as he passes it so there's no opportunity for it to be eaten
An alternative, as mentioned, would be the basket muzzle though this should be a short term thing and he must be monitored while it's on.
Avoid giving him too much attention (e.g. shouting or pulling him away) when he eats it as this he may see this as a positive thing. Instead, reward him the times that he doesnt eat the poo and walks past ignoring it, with a 'good boy' and a tasty treat.
Do also try to keep him as occupied as possible with plenty of exercise, food puzzles, chews, interactive toys etc so poo becomes a boring alternative.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help!
Of course. Please feel free to keep me updated :)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will do!
Thanks:)