Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Potential diarrhoea from hamster. We have pictures.

Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the hamster?
Customer: We don't know where or why, but there's big brown pastey stains throughout the cage as of this morning
Assistant: Where does the hamster seem to hurt?
Customer: Not sure
Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: he looks fine other than the stains
Assistant: Is the hamster eating normally?
Customer: We only noticed it this morning, so difficult to tell
Assistant: Is the hamster having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Pooing, could be diarrhoea
Assistant: The Expert will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Hank, 7 months
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hank?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've attached an image of what we saw this morning
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
If this is truly poo then this is a real concern.
Wet poo occurs with a bacterial disease called wet tail which can be quickly fatal
Initially the hanster may seem well but will then lose appetite and become lethargic.
The sooner we start treatment the better so he should be brought to a vet for examination. Do also bring this photo. They will provide antibiotics and supportive care if they do think thay this is a case of wet tail.
It's also important to thoroughly clean the cage and to isolate him from other hamsters.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for this. Is there anything else this could be?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will get him to a vet today.
If it is definitely poo, wet tail would certainly be on the top of the list and is something we need to rule out .
There can absolutely be other causes e.g. viruses, a change in diet or a diet that is too rich
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you. We haven't changed his diet or fed him anything new or different. We have a veterinary appointment for 6pm today.

What would the vet be looking to do? Is the outlook good, as in will it have any lasting effects or will he likely recover?
The vet will weigh him, ensure he is lively/active, check under his tail for evidence of wet tail (wet, smelly discharge on the fur), listen to his abdomen for gut sounds, feel his abdomen for gas/swellings, check his lungs/heart etc They may check temperature.
They will assess his hydration and provide a rehydration solution if needed.
They can also start him on antibiotics if they feel it is necessary
Grapes are a tricky thing. This is because some cats can eat grapes with not issue and others may just eat one and can develop sudden kidney failure. We dont know why this happens and there is no way of predicting who will be affected.
If she ate them within the last 4 hours the advice would be to bring her to a vet to make her vomit.
If it has been longer, it may be worth doing a blood test to check her kidneys.
Some cats benefit from being put on intravenous fluids and being given medication.
Apologies as I know this is quite a dramatic answer but it is always best to err on the side of caution.
Oh apologies, please ignore that last paragraph it was not meant for this conversation!
I wanted to say, please monitor him closely today. Keep track of his eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and activity levels.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks again. Sorry, a bleak question I know... Are survival rates good if we've caught it and trying to get it treated quite early (within 24hrs)?
If he does indeed have wet tail, prognosis is good when caught early. It's also reassuring that he has no other symptoms and is relatively young. We would expect him to do well.