Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I do have a 7month old maine coon, i noticed she ate 2-3

Customer Question

Hi. I do have a 7month old maine coon, i noticed she ate 2-3 leftover grapes from my daughters plate... never thought she will be interested in that. Do I have to worry?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Maine will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Maine?
Customer: Nothing really.. she is healthy big girl - around 5kg in weight. And it happened first time
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 16 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response.
Grapes are a tricky thing. This is because some cats can eat grapes with not issue and others may just eat one and can develop sudden kidney failure. We dont know why this happens and there is no way of predicting who will be affected.
If she ate them within the last 4 hours the advice would be to bring her to a vet to make her vomit.
If it has been longer, it may be worth doing a blood test to check her kidneys.
Some cats benefit from being put on intravenous fluids and being given medication.
Apologies as I know this is quite a dramatic answer but it is always best to err on the side of caution.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Oh. Thank you. Will try to get her in.. its happened about half an hour ago
Great. Please do feel free to keep me updated
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Just been to vets, they kept here to do the vomit injection... :(
So worried

That's great that they could see her so soon. Try not to worry, she's in the best hands and it's great that she has had the injection now. Fingers crossed she is back home really soon

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She was ok, when came back..but now she is crying when i am trying to stroke her on her back
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Between the front shoulders :( she is meowing loud and sitting down
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 15 days ago.
Oh bless her. That may be where she had the injection and she could be tender there for a day or two so its best to stroke her elsewhere.