Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My rabbit hasn’t eaten, drank and pooped in about 12 hours.

Hi, my rabbit hasn’t eaten, drank and pooped in about 12 hours. She is also subduded, had cold ears but they’re warming up. She has however maybe had a wee once.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your rabbit will be able to digest that. What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: lady Bramble
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lady?
Customer: no

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

What age is Lady Bramble?

Does she have any medical issues or is she on any medicine?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, she is about 1 and a half years old. She has no medical issues and is on no medication

The symptoms you have mentioned are incredibly concerning in a rabbit. This is because the way their digestive system works, they need to be constantly eating and pooing. If this stops, gas builds up and they become very uncomfortable. This makes them want to eat less; it's a vicious circle. Eventually they develop a condition called gut stasis where the gut stops moving completely.

We normally say if there hasn't been any eating in 4-6 hours then this is a matter of urgency and she needs to get to a vet. If caught early, we should be able to help by giving additional fluids, pain relief and medicine to get the gut moving.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you, going to the vets now

The primary cause can be a number of things including a change in diet, improper diet (not enough hay/grass) overgrown teeth, a mouth ulcer, ear infection etc. so it's important that the vet tries to figure out why it has happened. They will check her from nose to tail in search of a cause

That's great. It's definitely the best place for her. Please do feel free to keep me updated on how she gets on and to ask any further questions you may have. Wishing Lady Bramble (fab name by the way!) a very speedy recovery.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, thank you for your help. I’m taking her the the Emergency vets Now
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Love her name, she really does suit it