Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I've cut my new puppies nail too low and it's bleeding and

Hi, I've cut my new puppies nail too low and it's bleeding and has been for more than 20 minutes. I'm worried
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: Only that she's 9 weeks old and today has been irritable
Oh no!
Try not to panic, it will stop.
Put cornflour in an egg cup and put the nail in, costing the whole tip.
Then try to make the puppy stay still and rest. They should not lick or chew the nail. Offer them a chew or their dinner to distract them.
*coating the whole tip
This happens commonly and nails can certainly bleed a lot but there is no major artery and it will stop
If the cornflour doesnt work. Get a big cotton wool piece and apply pressure for 5 solid minutes.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK thank you