Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is limping on his front right leg. it was absolutely

Customer Question

Hi, my dog is limping on his front right leg. it was absolutely fine before but now he is limping
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: what seems to be the cause and is there any home remedies
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly and hope that I can still be of help.
There are a wide range of reasons for sudden lameness.
Most commonly, dogs sprain or strain themselves when running or playing. They may seem fine at the time due to the adrenaline and then become lame later in the day. Usually, if we rest them strictly (no walks, no jumping, no stairs etc) for 3-5 days and then gradually reintroduce exercise they will heal. Some will require a course of pain relief/ any inflammatories that a vet can prescribe. NEVER use human medicine as this can be highly toxic.
If he is very lame or there is swelling or severe pain we would consider a break or dislocation and advise an xray.
Be sure to check the pad for grazes (if present, clean with salt water twice daily) or any foreign bodies such as a thorn or piece of glass which would need to be removed. Similsrly, check each claw carefully for any splis or breaks. Affected dogs would tend to be licking at the sore area.
You should find that he improves each day after we start the appropriate therapy .
Please feel free to ask any further questions you may have and fingers crossed he is back to normal very shortly.
I see that there is a request for a phone call. Apologies as I am unable to make calls at this time. You will not be charged and I am happy to continue to chat via typing.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 5 months ago.

Hello, how is your dog getting on this morning; has the limp improved?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Linda,
Apologies for the late reply, he is slowly but surely getting better, however he is a bit hesitant to stand on his right front leg that is in pain when he's standing but when he runs he is fine.
Oh must not run on it!
Dogs are a bit like toddler in that we need to make the rules as they aren't responsible enough to.
He runs as it's fun and the adrenaline keeps the pain at bay however this really delays healing.
We want to strictly rest him (NO running at all , short walks on the lead just to toilet, no stairs, no jumping off sofas etc) for about 5 days and then slowly reintroduce exercise IF the leg is better.

Are things improving? Hopefully you notice he is a bit better each day?

Hello, this is just Linda checking in as this question remains unrated and open. If you were satisfied with the response please do not forget to rate the answer so I may be compensated for my time (otherwise the fee remains with the website). If you have any more questions, please feel welcome to ask them :)